Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy 4th

Hope everyone is having a great 4th of July.

A brief rundown of our day for you:

I woke up early this morning, and being the good girl that I am, I made my coffee and set to work on some school work. I won't lie though; the idea of having 2 hours to knit on my mystery stole was incredibly hard to resist. Still, I'm already WAY behind on the school work, and I couldn't live with myself if I spent such valuable quite time on anything other than the dictation.

About an hour into it, J came padding down the hall sleepily and curled up in my lap for a little bit of cuddle time. He's got this new thing where he likes to have his picture taken. Of course, he couldn't have entered this phase while at Disney, or any other time where I might have liked to have taken a decent photo. Regardless, how can you resist?

This one turned out so cute, I might have to use it for everything.

After some good cuddling, we went and woke up Dada and went to get donuts for breakfast. Yeah, I know, you don't have to tell me how incredibly UNhealthy they are. But they're a special treat, and J really looks forward to them once a month or so. We all got dressed, or at least put on shoes with our jammies, and went to the local Dunkin' Donuts. Now, whoever is in charge of doin' the donuts totally screwed up this morning because by the time we got there at 9:30-ish, there were no donuts to be had. Ok, so they had SOME donuts, but they were the nasty maple, cream filled, rolled in coconut, topped with peanuts type. Not a single glazed or even just plain donut in the shop. And poor J... all he wanted was a "pink one with frinkles" and I couldn't make it happen for him. After giving an earful to the poor girl behind the counter about how a place with the word "Donut" in their title could possibly NOT have any donuts, we bought what we thought might possibly pass J's lips, and we sat and ate.

Now, here's the part where I get to eat the big old slice of humble pie. You see, I'm not so nice when I wake up in the morning. Most folks know not to mess with or interfere with my routine before 10 a.m., and I consider not having donuts at a donut shop meddling, so I was not so pleasant.

After getting J to eat half of his not pink or frinkly donut, I got him settled all into the car and just as we were pulling out, some lady yells "Ms! I think you left your purse inside!"

Sure enough, I had. The kind lady had been good enough to turn the found object in to the girl behind the counter, and I had to humbly, and very much looking like an idiot, go in and thank her (the girl I had just finished reaming about the no donut deal)profusely for saving my big green ugly bag for me. Gotta love mornings like that.

I came home and decided the best way to deal with my misplaced anger/annoyance would be to get out and do the yard. It needed doing in a big way, and I'd much rather do it myself than watch hubby do it while fighting back the urge to point out every blade he's missed.

The poor yard got the full wrath of my grumpiness and I emerged triumphant and with a yard nearly worthy of Southern Living's front page... or at least a little less Adam's Family-ish. I even have the blister on my thumb to prove it.

After a long shower, I was feeling human again, so we decided to go out and try again at having a good day.

Here's J all dressed up in his 4th of July garb.




He's so irresistible!

We somehow ended up at Best Buy. You see, I try to be a good wife, and electronics and cars are like hubby's yarn. Unfortunately, his passions are a little more expensive than mine, and so he never gets to indulge. For the nearly 8 years that we've been together the poor guy has dreamed of and saved for a new tv, only to have that money have to go to some other worthy cause like car repairs, or getting a house out of foreclosure (long story, and this post is long enough), or a month of unexpected bedrest during my pregnancy. He's quietly just stifled his little dream and given it up over and over.

Well, it was finally time for him to get his wish. We'd saved and saved, and tucked away here and there, and before one more thing came and took it away from him again, I finally convinced him to bite the bullet and just buy the damned thing.

Before:


And the glorious after!


This is not the permanent arrangement for those who may be wondering, but it works for now. Eventually we'll either wall-mount it, or we'll take the top off the existing entertainment center and use the base to hold the new beast. To be honest, I like it being up high enough to keep the little fingers away.

So hubby finally has the toy he's been lusting after for all these years. He's a happy man, and that makes me a happy wife.

Of course, the fourth wouldn't be complete without fireworks, which we did go to watch. But the weather was terrible for them, keeping the smoke low to the ground and obscuring the view of the show. Oh well. J was so exhausted he had no interest in them anyway.

Ok, so this monster post is drawing to a close. I am picking up an extra shift at work tomorrow and must wake up at an ungodly hour. But before bed, I think I'm going to go veg on the couch and ooh and aah over the 40" of HD LCD (I'll pretend I understand what all that means) goodness.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger me said...

Lawd that's a beautiful, t.v. set. The hubster looks so happy. ANd so do you and the J-Man!

WOOHOO!!!

:-)

Hugs, Ang. :-) Looks like a happy fourth was on tap over by there. :-)

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Oh yeah, totally been there with the whole 'biting someones head off' and then having to ask or thank them for their help.

Does your face turn red in those situations? Anytime there is attention drawn to me, or I feel uncomfortable I get really hot in the face and it turns beet red. SO EMBARRASSING!

Love the TV. You can see the difference in the way Wil smiles at his TV's. LOL I'm sure we'll probably be investing in one shortly after Roy gets back. *sigh* Boys and their toys, right?

I love the pictures with J. I can't wait until Anthony actually starts hamming it up for the camera instead of looking at me like I have 2 heads when I'm taking pictures.
:)

Happy fourth!

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Ha! just LOOK at that electronics-induced grin! THAT is one happy hubster!

And J in his lil red white and blue... how CUTE!

*smooches!*

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

It sure is, isn't it, Mikey? I'm not a big tv watcher, so I didn't really see the logic in such an extravagant purchase, but I will admit that I like being able to actually READ the guide and menu. :)

Eve, yup! Red as a beet.

Is it still looking like he'll be back in just a few short months? Of course, I say that fully realizing that those few months probably seem like an eternity to you and Anthony. Hope the time flies by.

The old tv is the same one I've had and carted around with me from place to place since Jr. High, so it was time for a new one. It took it about 5 minutes to warm up and get the proper colors, and it's the "better" of the 2 tvs in the house up until now. :) Until we get decide on what to do about furniture, we're leaving the old one there, and we'll hook up J's v-smile to it. He's just really started taking an interest in games recently.

Erin... ***sigh*** if only he'd smile at me that way. :)

Thanks for the comments, guys!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Thats so cool. My hubby is into cars and electronics too and I totally feel the same way. He never gets to get what he wants...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home