Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hace Calor!

It's been just about a month since the air conditioner in my car decided to take a crap on me. Yep, that's the way my luck goes-- it works perfectly all through winter and spring, only to go kaput right at the beginning of inferno season.

Now I'm not as big of a wimp as I sound. Sure, it's hot, but I can deal with it. It's J-man that I feel bad for. You know when it's 104 with the heat index outside it's about 50 degrees hotter in the car. That's just inhumane. Add to that the fact that the wind in his face freaks him out and he wants the windows rolled up, and it's something like driving a preheated oven around.

So, as you can imagine, we're not getting a whole lot done, other than sitting on our butts in the house. I've got cabin fever in a bad way. I'm used to being out- trips to the library, shopping, whatever. I hate feeling trapped at home all day, but I can't justify going out unnecessarily when it's this damn hot.

I've had it looked at by two different mechanics now. The first ones were complete morons who couldn't tell a dipstick from a valve stem. I had no confidence in them at all, but hubby insisted that the car go there- that he knew someone that worked there, and he'd treat us right.

Yeah, $1400.00 worth of right, and while a few of the things that needed doing were done- like new brakes, spark plugs, transmission flush, etc. I STILL DON'T FREAKING HAVE AIR!! It was the one and only reason for me deciding to put the car in the shop anyway.

So, idiot mechanic tells us that the compressor is working fine (whew!) but that every time you turn it on, it blows a fuse. We'll need to take it to the dealer in order for them to trace the electrical problem.

I don't do dealerships. I'm afraid if I take this lemon of a car to them I'm going to tell them exactly how I feel about it, and it's probably not in the best interest of anyone for me to do that. I did the next best thing and took it to the mechanic that my dad recommends. Turns out, he used to work for my dealership. Woohoo. Score one for me.

I dropped the oven... er, car off on Thursday, and he worked and worked on it. He kept it overnight and all day Friday. He's found the problem. You see, some moron, and I won't point fingers, decided to try fixing it over and over again by replacing the blown fuse with bigger fuses, and ended up melting the wires. Now I need a new compressor as well as the wiring that's shot. Hmmm... wonder how that happened?

And it pisses me off to know that if idiot mechanics #1 had just stopped when they were stumped and said "You know, we have no idea what we're doing here. Maybe you should take it to the dealership" instead of charging me for multiple hours of service and a few outrageous diagnostic fees, the compressor probably wouldn't need to be replaced at all.

Oh well, can't change the facts now, can we?

So, new mechanic is looking for parts. Apparently they're hard to come by--as if I drive some sort of rare and fancy car. Apparently, they're also quite pricey. Great.

Not much else going on. The mystery stole continues to grow very slowly. I still haven't finished the first clue, and the third has already been released. It's ok though. I've never been the world's fastest knitter.

The housework is piling up. It's not like I'm not home all day and don't do it. It's just that I'm home all day, and so all my work gets undone almost immediately. Trying to clean up after a nearly 3-year-old kid is an impossible task. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever see the day where I don't have crap piled up all around me. Chances are, the answer is no. Dishes, laundry, dog hair, cat hair, litter, aquariums that need cleaning, a lawn that needs twice a week mowings, tile floors that stay clean for roughly 10 minutes after you put the mop away, well water that stains the showers orange. No matter how much work I seem to do, the house persists in looking terrible.

*sigh*

Don't mind me, I'm just irritable today.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:32 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Wow, with mechanic friends like that, who needs enemies? Yeesh.

p.s. I just tell B that if he'd stop wearing clothes and eating for a week I'd have no problem getting caught up on the laundry and dishes. :)

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger me said...

Crazy situation. Like the time I went into to take my last car in for a tune-up and the mechanic goes, "Did you know you had Ford spark plugs in this car? This car is only supposed to take Toyota plugs, so we switched them out for you." ARGH!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home