Monday, December 17, 2007

A Jolly Old Elf

After therapy and a bad haircut (I swear no one understands how to cut curly hair!), I took J to visit with Santa at the mall. He was all excited about it until it was actually his turn.

J's going through this phase right now where he's scared of things. All kinds of things. Things that he's never been afraid of before. The sound of the vacuum, the monsters he imagines in the closet, the bath tub drain sucking him down from all the way across the bathroom, and now, we can add fat guys in red suits to the list.

Uncle B, if you're reading this, yes, that is SO a "chingrin" he's got on his face.


He was very brave when I told him that it was ok to sit on Santa's knee and tell him what he wanted for Christmas, and he did so, hesitantly. But it went downhill from there. Santa couldn't understand what he was telling him he wanted, and J just got upset and looked at me and said, "Mama, I thought Santa already knew what I wanted."

It was truly distressing to him, but he thanked Santa, reminded him that had been a good boy, and then grabbed my hand and nearly dragged me through the gate to "safety." I guess all kids go through this stage, huh?

We're staying in the holiday spirit, though. Earlier in the week J and his big cousin worked together to create this:


I've done a small bit of Christmas knitting, even though I vowed to not stress myself out with gift knitting this year. Just a few things, and if I don't finish them I've got backups.

Lots of other stuff going on at the moment, but I'll fill you in on those later. For now, let's just get through the holidays, right?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Blogger Eve said...

I've never experienced the "afraid of everything" stage before with siblings or cousins, but my nephew Deshaun is going through it now, and has been for the past couple of months now. It's insane because he freaks out over the leaves on the ground, the christmas lights at the park (even though they have christmas lights up all inside their apartment!) LOL. It's a *fun* stage.

It's good to hear J actually did sit on Santas lap though. After the easter bunny incident earlier this year I don't think my sister will be taking Deshaun to see any of the characters for awhile. LOL

I haven't taken Anthony to see Santa yet this year... though that's just me being lazy. HA!

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, the only thing that didn't scare me was my immediate family. And Santa?? I wish I could find the pick of me sitting on his lap ... I'm looking at him with fearful and suspicious eyes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home