Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Eleven months

My son is eleven months old today. It's been an amazing journey to this point, and one I find myself more grateful every day to be a part of.

Last night I poured over old pictures, laughing and crying in all the right places, stroking his tiny pixelated cheeks on the computer screen. Sometimes I think I'm a terrible mom. Jonas doesn't have a baby book, or even a photo album. There's just these hundreds and hundreds of pictures saved to the computer and occasionally e-mailed to friends and family. What kind of new mother doesn't make a baby book for their child?

The tired one.

It's been a rough year, not just having to adapt to a life of being needed constantly by an infant, but a year of recovering from hurricane damage, of working full-time, of worrying about daycares. It's been a year of nearly non-stop illnesses. None of these are excuses, though.

I tell myself that next year will be different. Jonas will be a little more self-reliant, or at least self-entertaining. We will, hopefully, be in a new home that isn't constantly crumbling away beneath us. And I will be a stay at home mom. I am determined of that. No more spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars a month on daycare, when I could be spending that money on other things, like a better place to live, food for our bellies, a reliable car.

Before Jonas, I was complacent. I'd settle for the bottom of the barrel, with the excuse that anything else just wasn't worth the struggle. Now, having the responsibility of a child, I want better. It's not that I want to be rich, live in some fancy upscale neighborhood where all my neighbors drive Jaguars and BMW's. But I do want my son to live somewhere safe, somewhere large enough for there to be room for his toys. He doesn't have that here.

So we've taken out our equity loan. Not much money, really, just enough to make some necessary repairs, pay off a couple of debts, pay for my classes. My goal is to, in the next six months, complete my courses, work from home, and be well on the way to selling this shitbox we live in.

We don't have the luxury of taking our time on this. Just in the last three months property values have risen even higher. Land that was selling for $35,000 back in March is now selling for $55,000. If we don't buy soon, we're not going to be able to buy at all.

And so, on my son's eleven month birthday, I sit and I make a promise to him, next year won't be this way.

4 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

About photo albums, it's not you, it's the pictures. Jim and I have been married going on three years and I don't have a wedding album yet. I keep telling myself to get around to it. We can afford the prints just fine. But no. I haven't printed out a single digital picture since I've had the camera.

I wonder if it matters, even. Isn't the file you keep your pictures in an album just the same??? And then you can even set the file to be a slideshow screensaver on your computer, so not only do you have an album, but you can have it displayed always :) That's better than an album.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Baby books are over rated Ang. They sit somewhere and get dusty, then as they get older they get forgotten, then by the time they'r teens, they've been lost in a move or they're packed away some (god knows) where. Only psychotic people still have them when the kids are grown - you know the ones, they who had nothing more important to do with their days than to obsess over stuff... I have 5 kids, I have one baby book, and that's only because she's still only 2. It, however, has no pics in it!

There are 1000 more important things to do with your child that a baby book!

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger me said...

Heck, I was third of three, ANgie. My Mom hadn't even completely filled in a lot of stuff in my baby book. None of us three really had everything filled in in their entirety; just the first few pages and life events. Who in their right minds live their lives going, "Oo, I've got to get the baby book NOW, little Jasper just shoved boiled carrots up his nose," I mean. come on, Erin's right: life is in the living and the experiential stuff needs to be just that: experienced. Writers like us write about them later, when he have a little time away from the freaking rat race of life, no?

If you were to say, keep some of these blog postings and bind them someday and present them to him, I'd say, knowing my Mom cared this much, knowing that in her spare time she was thoughtful and contemplative, heck he'll already know that, hon! MWAH! HUGS!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Thanks guys, for making me feel a bit better about my inadequacies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home