Sunday, July 17, 2005

Extremes

Someone once asked me why I drank my coffee so strong. At the time, I just sort of shrugged and told them that's the way I like it. And I do like it that way. Black, strong, almost thick. If I'm gonna drink the stuff, it had better pack a punch. No dirty brown water for me, I want COFFEE!

Now that I've had some time to think about it, I realize that my coffee habit is probably more a reflection of my entire being. I'm one of those folks that feels very little on the surface. Maybe it's a survival technique that I haven't been able to drop, or maybe it's just the way I was naturally wired at birth. Either way, it's just the way it is.

A lot of people who don't know me well consider me cold and unfeeling. I don't share or show my emotions much. It's hard to elicit a smile from my lips, harder still is anger or pain. Sure, I feel it, it's the expression part that doesn't happen.

A little known fact: I used to cut myself in order to feel. Or maybe it was a control thing. I could inflict the pain, tangible pain that I could then heal. A sick sort of self-loving I guess. I wasn't in the greatest of mental places, I suppose. I don't do that anymore. Haven't in more than 3 years, but sometimes the craving is there. Sometimes it's like a bee buzzing around in a glass jar, angry and desperately hunting escape. It was that way the other day, standing in the kitchen, washing bottles in the pre-dawn silence, eyes caught on the shapely handles of my knives arranged so neatly in their little block. I wanted so badly to feel the blade against my skin, melting through my skin, the warm release.

I'm over it. I don't do those things anymore. As a matter of fact, it disgusts me that I even still think about it at all.

But I am a person who needs extremes in order to feel, in order to be normal. So why do I drink my coffee so damn black? Probably to make up for some sort of emptiness that I don't even know exists yet.

And this has been a strange and disjointed post from the dark corner of my mind.

3 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Blogger me said...

Not so dark, hon. I understand this post. Someone asked me on a day I wasn't jovial, jocular self recently, "C'mon, Mike, smile!" And I replied, "This is my game face." :-) Which it usually is. Love being the clown, getting people to laugh, love to laugh myself. But ~THIS~ is the only face I have. "Extremes." I understand this post. Not so dark, Ang. ~ML and hugs and peace to you!

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Laura said...

yeah, I understand. you've grown so much in just the short time I've know you Ang-- and worked through a lot of shite.

Heck, have helped me through a lot of shite-- I miss our chats -- but yeah, the temptation is always there it never goes away you just find new and better ways to fight it and if you want to find them, you will.

C'mon over and I'll brew you some of my famous coffee, we'll let Jonas play with the chickens and watch the sun come up over the barn ruins.

It'll be good. :)

*hug*

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Thanks Mike, I guess we all get in a funk sometimes, don't we. Glad we can understand each other.

L,

If Jonas gets ahold of one of them chickens, you'll have one less chicken to feed. Hell, we'll just call it dinner. :) Maybe the goats are a better idea.

BTW, we're still trying to figure out a way to make it up there for the big event. I think that by then we'll be able to swing it. And I'll gladly take some of that famous coffee.

Hugs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home