Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Here we go again

Looks like Wilma will be stopping by for a visit this weekend.

After last year's devastation in this area, and the recent hurricanes that have torn the gulf apart, I'm on storm overload. And while this storm threatens to be pretty severe, I just can't seem to muster up enough strength to even give a shit.

So many people are scrambling to buy supplies. Gas lines are outrageous. Me, I'm sitting on a quarter of a tank with no plans to alter my life. I guess you just sort of reach a point... I don't know if it's apathy, exactly... where it just seems useless to even worry.

And you can say that you're not worried, but of course, under that calm exterior, you're a total wreck. But what can you do? You can't alter weather patterns, so what's the point. It's just a matter of acceptance.

My parents have reserved a couple of hotel rooms, thinking that a hotel is more secure than home. I tend to disagree, and besides, I can't take my animals to the hotel, and I'm not going to just leave them behind. I'm sure the cats would fend for themselves for a few days, but the dog wouldn't make it.

We can't evacuate since Wil's job requires him to report. I guess I could go on my own, but that seems silly. How can I take off and leave my husband behind? So I'll sit put, ride out a few hours of ugly weather, and spend a couple of days in the dark. I'll go ahead and cook all the perishables, we'll have a virtual feast of odds and ends, and then we'll settle in for the crackers and peanutbutter phase of recovery.

So bring it on, Wilma.

1 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Blogger me said...

You're all in all our prayers, Angie. Keep safe. Be careful. ~ML

 

Post a Comment

<< Home