Monday, October 10, 2005

Driving home

The other night my sister and I had a little barbecue thing at my parents house. Nothing major, just a few friends over, a couple of beers, some conversation. Now, my parents live in a really nice area of town. Nice quite neighbors, big houses, nice lawns. The sort of place you'd like your kids to grow up living.

As we were driving home, at the place where the small road meets the main one, I prepared to make that familiar right. To my left I see a plice car approaching, lights strobing, no siren. I figure I'll wait for him to pass. Especially since I'm driving with a busted tail-light. As he gets to the place where I'm waiting, he comes to a stop, pulls a u-turn across the median, and the sight that is illuminated by his headlights is something I wish I had never seen: A dead man, lying at the curb, the back of his head a collage of blood and bone. A woman stood above him, phone to her ear, dressed in a ragged old robe. She wasn't screaming, she wasn't crying, she was just gone. Blank and ashen and vacant.

I don't know these folks, but I've seen the guy before. He's her son, I think. I don't know what happened. Maybe it was just a hit and run, maybe it was a shooting. Hard to say, but all I know is that I never wanted to witness it. The blankness of mother's empty stare, the twisted remains of a son whose life was cut unexpectedly short.

4 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Blogger Erin said...

oh... damn, Ang. What a thing to see... what a thing for her to experience.

what a fuckin thing.

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger me said...

I got hit riding a bike at 11. Helped to put a stop sign up (through the lagalities, red tape, etc. with the help of the alderman, etc.) at the intersection where it happened. There was blood. There was a really big wound. There was turmoil, but no death. I've prayed in thanks my whole life I was spared. Seems disingenuous to be writing all this "woe is me poetry" when every day's been a gift. I'm ashamed to admit it. But it's too late I already have. There, I've said it!

Sorry you had to see that Angie. Oy!

Try to put it our of your mind, hon. >>> HUGS <<<

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Jeez Mike, that really explains a lot. :) LOL!

You know I'm joking, right? Seriously, that had to suck. I'm glad you were ok, though. I was nearly hit once. I was probably 5 or 6, just learned to ride sans training wheels. Rode right out into the middle of the street. Big dummy. All I remember is the squealing tires.

I spent the rest of the day hiding under my blankets, not because I realized my mortality, but because I was afraid Mom might have heard. Funny how, as a child you can be more concerned about getting in trouble for breaking a rule than nearly being celestially discharged, eh?

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger me said...

I'm still like that, Angie. I guess that's what makes me still, one big friggin' kid. BWAHAHAHAH!!! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home