Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Good Morning

Jonas slept through the entire night last night. Can you say "hallelujah"?! At fifteen months old, I don't understand why this is such a novelty. I guess he's just restless like his Momma. I've never been a good sleeper either.

He has his fifteen month checkup at the doctor in a little bit. I haven't even gotten him out of his jammies yet, nor have I had my first cup of coffee. I'm not looking forward to this visit. I know that she's going to tell me that he's developmentally slow, that he should be enrolled in speech therapy, and have a hearing evaluation. I know that they don't mean to make you sound like you have a stupid child, but that's exactly the way it comes across.

No, my son's very intelligent. The fact that he's not speaking has nothing to do with the level of things he understands. And believe me, he understands plenty. He's just more of a physical, do it yourself kind of kid and not very vocal. But have you ever seen a 15 month old that can spill all the shapes from his shape-sorter and put them all back in, and in the same particular order every time? Hey, I think that's talent.

Or maybe I'm making excuses for my "stupid" baby. Either way, I love him just the way he is, and I wish the rest of the world would stop making him, and me, feel inferior.

Ok, so, not such a good morning. I didn't mean to come across so bitter. I'll post updates, and hopefully more cheery material, once we get home this afternoon.

6 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

Ang,

There's nothing wrong with hearing checks or speech therapy. As a victim of both, I encourage them. We didn't find out that my hearing was impaired until I was about 5 years old. I didn't hear my mother calling me. It isn't that big of a deal.

My speech therapist moved with me throughout school and even when I no longer "needed" her, she was always there for me until I graduated from high school. I don't know what my life would have been without her!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Vickie,

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was opposed to either of those things. I wouldn't have a problem at all if Jonas needed either of them. It's just the ignorance of society in general that looks at my speechless son and considers him in some way defective that pisses me off.

I'm glad that you were fortunate to have someone there to help you out, and if Jonas does end up needing a similar friend, I hope to find one as dedicated.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

Angie,

The rest of the world is always the problem. It was for me, too. Unfortunately, people are cruel when it comes to stuff like that.

After reading the new post, I have no fear that he'll be where he is supposed to be. One thing, though, if he points to what he wants, try to get him to ask for it. I once heard of a four year old that never spoke. She was always given what she wated. One day, out of the blue, she asked for a peanut butter sandwich. I guess people weren't paying attention to her and she needed to be heard. Just a thought...

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Vickie, lol! He's king of the pointers! We do try and make him ask for stuff, but for the most part, he just doesn't know what it's called. So he points and says "ees", which is his word for "this". We tell him what it is, and he says "ees", and we give it to him because at least he called it something. Otherwise I feel like we could spend all day having a fit over one "ees" or another. Maybe that's lazy parenting.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

Not at all. You're doing the right thing. If you turn it around on him often enough, as in "oh, you want the ball?" he'll eventually get the idea. I think you're doing great!

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Up until I was 3 years old there were a ton of so called experts who had convinced my mum that I was partially deaf and had some kind of developmental disorder. Truth be told, I just didn't think what most people were saying was worth listening to, and by now of course I've proved them all wrong on the other score too ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home