Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Neurotics Anonymous

I keep having these... hmmm, what to call them... visions. Nope, not going to sit here and call myself a psychic or anything. It's just that I keep having these neurotic little mind wanderings and in each one of them there is something catastrophic going on.

For instance: Jonas's daycare is located right behind a rather large company which manufactures military "stuff". Computer chips that do all sort of fancy stuff, satellite parts, etc. The other morning, while driving him to school I had this horrible vision of a terrorist attack on that facility, and the subsequent destruction of the unsuspecting children at the daycare, J-man included. Yeah, I know. Pretty far out there. But were the folks heading off to the WTC on Sept. 11th thinking anything about planes falling out of the sky when the kissed their kids goodbye?

And then, the other day I had an image of us, Wil, Jonas and I, out on a boat. The boat capsized and I was left trying to save both my husband and my son, neither of who can swim. There was that clear image of knowing that I had to make the choice: one or the other. I couldn't possibly hold both, and there was that moment where I had to decide which meant more to me. How can you possibly make that choice?

And then tonight, driving home from work after picking up J. There has been a report lately of people robbing cars in daycare parking lots while parents are inside picking up their kids. I mean, really, if you're going to rob a car, that's a great time to do it. I know that most of the folks that drop off and pick up at J's daycare don't even turn off the engine, much less collect their purses, etc. before going in.

So with that thought fresh on my mind, and sitting at a red light a few blocks down, I hear someone yelling from a few cars back, and WHAM! vision time again. Now I'm seeing some guy trying to carjack us and I'm begging him to take whatever he wants, just let me take my kid. He can keep the car, the purse, whatever else he may want. And I see him allowing me to unstrap J and leave him on the side of the road, but he won't let me go, too. So I'm setting Jonas out on the curb in busy traffic, and praying that he is safe, that he'll not get run over, that someone will turn him into the police and he'll make his way back to family since I know that I'm about to die.

Really the guy yelling behind me in traffic was just having an obnoxiously loud cell phone conversation.

And just why in the hell am I sharing this with you? I dunno. Just one of those things I felt like I had to get off my chest eventually. Yes, I really am this crazy.

So am I the only one in the world that has these soap opera drama scenes running through their minds on a daily basis? Good sweet lord, please tell me I'm not.

4 Comments:

At 1:24 AM, Blogger me said...

I am here, to the rescue, Ang, to tell you just before bedtime, that you are uneqivocably ~NOT~ the only person who has these thoughts, visions, wild imaginings or mental meanderings. It is part and parcel of life, I believe. The trick is to catch your breath and realize that the basis for most of our irrational thoughts and fears come from cheesecake. Uh, huh. Cheesecake. And I'm not talking about the strawberry kind, mind you, I am talking about plain old cheesecake with a graham cracker crust with no ornamentation of chocolate drizzles on top. Have you been eating cheesecake lately? Because there's an Eli's Cheesecake factory about 2 miles from where I live on the outskirts of Chicago and I ~SO~ hope they're still open. God forbid something terrible happened to it. Like some semi-truck driver delivering cheese or whatever they put in those things rammed into the place. That would be just awful!

;-)

All of a sudden, I'm feeling better. I hope you are too!

~ML and hugs

You're normal! Now deal with it!

>grin<

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I have these whatever-ya-callems sometimes, usually when I'm under a lot of stress, or oddly enough, when I've just had a baby. It was bad after Terra especially.

Personally, I think it's a byproduct or symptom or whatever of internalizing shit, not getting/letting it out when things start to pile up. Of course, amybe that's just me, I'm famous for not telling people when something's really upsetting me. (Mostly cuz no one listens lol)

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

Hmm, don't you think it is time to sign both your son and your husband up for swimming lessons at the local YMCA?

I think you're just doing what moms do. You want to make sure that your child is safe at all times. Your thoughts seem to be going to those situations where you no longer have control.

Swimming lessons you can do something about. Locking your purse and other goodies in the trunk of the car and making sure you turn the car off when you reach the daycare center are good ideas. Lock the doors also.

Take care of yourself, Ang.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Laura said...

All the time...

When they came out with the "worst case scenario" books I thought they'd read my mind.

I agree with the internalization theory -- also as part of anxiety and also because we're exposed to so much more...

Think about it, 100 years ago, whatever news we got came via word of mouth or sometimes the paper, especially if you lived out of the way...

I don't think there's THAT much more bad stuff going on in the world now it's just that we have the information that' it's going on-which in turn stimulates our anxieties.

but yeah-- it's not fun-- i've found that taking control of the scenario as it plays out is best, even if it involves becoming somewhat super-human.

love,

whack-job me,

L.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home