Monday, November 21, 2005

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle

Oh my, what a day!

We got a late start off to the big concert. No big deal, really, since the bad weather we were expecting held off, and the driving wasn't nearly so bad.

We arrived at our exit off I-4 fifteen minutes before the show began, then spent 20 minutes on the exit ramp being diverted to the farthest possible parking. Figures, when you have a small child in tow, and no stroller.

Regardless, we got inside the venue just as the lights were dimming. Jonas was completely overwhelmed by all the noise and flashing lights. To be accurate, he was downright terrified and had the death-grip on me. As we made our way to our seats, which were wonderfully close to the stage, he began this high-pitched scream that let me know that we were in for a long show. Instead of torturing him, I sent Wendy and Steven down to the seats and retreated back to the upper level where Jonas felt safer.

After the Wiggles made their grand appearance on the stage, the lights came up a bit and he relaxed enough to allow me to take him to our seats.

The show was amusing, hilarious at times. I honestly think that my sister and I had a better time than either of the kids. Jonas was perplexed. He didn't get the whole "live show" thing, but was fixated on the giant screen on either side of the stage that showed close-up. I guess in his little sphere of reality the Wiggles belong on tv and not on a stage.

I have to give those guys credit, they put on a great show, and their energy never waned. I know if I was asked to dance around and sing like that for nearly two hours I'd be close to dead by the end.

With the show over, we took our time getting back to the car, letting the munchkins work off some of their extra energy. Jonas did not enjoy being pent up in a seat the entire time. He was ready to get into some stuff and move those chunky little legs around.

Once we finally got them settled into the car, and we got back on the interstate, Jonas broke out in hysterical crying that lasted ALL THE WAY HOME. Yes, two hours of driving with a screaming, not just whining, but screaming baby. Not good for a mother's nerves. We ended up pulling over for a little while so that I could climb into the back seat and hug him. Unfortunately, because of her DUI conviction, my sister couldn't drive at all, so I had to push on, listening to him cry the whole way. He finally tuckered out and fell asleep right as we reached our exit. Figures.

We're home now, and the cause of his fit is evident. The poor kid's spiked a fever of nearly 104. He's apparently catching whatever is going around.

But, besides the two hour meltdown in the car, the day was wonderful, memorable, and better than I could have ever expected.

The only surprising thing is that Jonas seemed scared of the arena at first. I mean, my child isn't really scared of anything, except the vacuum cleaner. I never thought he'd be afraid of four silly Australian guys in colorful shirts, or some dude in a pirate costume.

Next time maybe my sister and I will leave the kids behind and just go wiggle on our own.

I know I promised Laura a pie review today, but to be quite honest, I'm just too damn tired to even think about it right now. Sorry, L. Maybe tomorrow.

Now I'm off to cuddle my sick little munchkin and drift peacefully off to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home