Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Adventures in Potty Training

For two days I had J-man wearing exclusively underwear. Sure, we had a trickle of an accident here and there, but for the most part he was well on his way to big boy land. Even though he's too big for it, he likes sitting on his little kiddy potty chair. I nearly have to crowbar it off his butt when he's done, but it's working, and I'm not complaining.

The only time he's worn a diaper is when I sneak one on him at night after he's fallen asleep. Let's face it- no one wants to get up at 3 am to change wet beds.

I'm so proud of him, after the long struggle we've had with the potty off and on. I guess it's one of those things where you finally give in and say "he'll do it when he's ready." Well, he's ready now, even excitedly asking for underwear instead of diapers, which he used to fuss about having to wear.

So, two days of near perfect success, and what happens? I have to go back to work. Yeah, you see where this is going, don't you?

Let me preface this with the fact that I really do love my mother-in-law, and I'm extremely appreciative of all she does for us and for J.

Ok, got the disclaimer out of the way. For those of you who don't know, my mother-in-law speaks and understands no English at all. I understand a little spanish and speak it even more poorly than I understand. We've always managed to get the important messages across with careful attention and lots of gesturing and an occasional phone call to hubby for translation.

So, when I showed up yesterday morning with a bag full of extra clothes and underwear, carrying a potty chair under my arm and declared "No diapers" and she nodded her head in agreement and commented on how cute the potty chair was, I thought we had an understanding. I then pointed to the clock, to each hour, and told her at each hour to remind him to go, all while pointing at the potty. She nodded and said "ok."

So, what did I find when I picked J up that evening? A kid having a fresh diaper put on!

Hold on for a second while I swallow my frustration.

Usually I'm not at all bothered, or at least I'm able to get over rather quickly, the things that she does that go against my grain. But this is potty training. What part of consistency does she not agree with? What part of "no diapers" is hard to understand? And how the heck am I going to EVER get him trained when he knows that when he goes over there he's going to get to do as he pleases.

When I got home I brought it up to hubby who, of course, defended his mother instead of just saying "I'll talk to her about it," or something supportive of my efforts. He and Mom think I'm pushing J too hard just because he had an accident. Umm... hello! No one goes from diapers all day to accident free overnight. He's going to have accidents, it's part of learning to go, isn't it?

Really, I have no clue how to do this, other than to hope that J will start insisting on underwear when he's there. Maybe if I just convince him enough that he doesn't need a diaper he'll start putting up a fight with his Abuela, too. Or is that wrong of me? I already know that hubby won't say a damn thing to his mother about it, no matter how much I bicker with him about it.

Aahh, the joys of communication.

I promise, soon I'll give you a post with something more substantial.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Couldn't you just confiscate all the diapers the next time you're over there?

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Hey thanks for the comment. Glad to see there are other knitters in brevard county. I have senn blogs in Cocoa Beach and Titusville but never met any of them. If all goes well maybe we can meet up and go see Harlot in Atlanta. I'm seriously thinking of going...Did you hear about the Fiber-In in Cocoa Beach in Sept? You should go!

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Michele said...

BTW good luck with the potty training!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home