Tuesday, June 03, 2008

One of the greatest things

in the entire world is opening your mailbox and finding an unexpected package inside. That's exactly what happened last Thursday. And yes, I'm a terrible blogger, and perhaps a worse friend for not posting this any sooner. But I think the sender can understand and appreciate the way that days tend to slip by you completely unnoticed sometimes.

A little history:

I met both Laura and her husband, Doug, many many years ago on a poetry website that we all frequented. Over the years we developed a great relationship, which finally culminated in Jonas and I catching a flight to PA two years ago for a whirlwind visit with them. The time at their place, affectionately known as "Barnhenge" was one of the most wonderful times of my life. Let's face it-- no matter how much you think you know someone on the internet, they can always turn out to be raving lunatics in real life. I'm proud to report that actually meeting them in person just solidified my love for both of them.

We planned on repeating the trip the next year, along with a side trip to Maryland for Maryland Sheep and Wool and a meetup with Gretchen, but Wil landed himself in the hospital the day before the trip, and well, I couldn't just leave him there alone, could I? So the trip got canceled with a "next year for sure" clause.

Now to this year. Who knew that Fairy Fest and the Sheep and Wool festival would be the exact same weekend that baby sister would be graduating? Honestly, there was no competition, but still, it sucked to have to take a raincheck for the second year in a row.

Over the past two years we've been lax in staying in touch. Time changes circumstances and everyone gets busy. Heck, on top of keeping up with the chickens and the garden, they even went and got busy making a baby, and then being parents.

So imagine my surprise when the package wedged in my mailbox, beautifully decorated in butterflies, was from Laura! I did a little happy dance in the seat of my car all the way to J's school and back before I got to open it.

A peek at the insides:


Gorgeous alpaca yarn, (Amazing, especially considering Laura has yet come to the dark side... ahem... learned to knit), a beautiful gold bag with a stuffed Baltimore oriole inside for J man, which was actually a gift from their friend, Raven, a jar of homemade raspberry jam, cute bamboo coasters, a party favor from L's baby shower, which sadly did not make the journey in one piece, and some Tibetan prayer flags. Of course, the best part of the package was the sweet notecard inside, and just knowing that, even after two years of less than stellar communication, someone out there is thinking of you. It's a beautiful thing.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that this little package meant more to me than you can ever imagine. Thanks Laura, for the goodies and for simply being an amazingly wonderful friend. I love you, girlie.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Aww, that was so sweet! And how did she know about the yarn to pick?

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Laura said...

ack! I'm just catching up on blogging. I'm glad you got the package, had been meaning to call sometime and make sure it arrived... mostly in one piece. :)

Next year.... seriously! That or I'm bringing the little one down for a drum circle.

*hugs* I miss you a bunch lately :) I'm glad the yarn is good. One day I'll come to the darkside, I promise. I just don't know anyone else who knits, so I'm at loss for a tutor and uninspired to learn on my own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home