Saturday, May 10, 2008

Spring bug

I still owe a post about our vacation, baby sister's graduation, and all the other stuff we did while in Tn, but since I haven't uploaded any pictures from my camera, it'll have to wait a little longer.

Instead, enjoy this post, void of pictures, where I simply ramble about everyday stuff.

Ever since we returned home, I've had the urge to clean and organize the house in a way that I haven't in years. Seriously. Years. And I never really realized how much of a pack rat I could be until I started emptying out my closet.

And since I'm feeling quite ADD at the moment, let's talk about the closet. But before I tell you about the closet, I have to tell you about my crafting area. You see, I never do much in the way of crafting because I lack the space to spread things out. We don't own a single table, aside from J's little folding kiddie table, so it makes it difficult to do things like cut out fabric, or attach a ball winder and swift in any sort of decent fashion. If I want to sew, I have to place the machine on a tv tray, and cut everything out on the floor. Not ideal at all. Then add to that, the fact that when I'm done, everything has to get returned to their respective closets and cupboards. It's hardly worth the hassle most of the time.

That's when it dawned on me that my closet would serve as a perfect small craft area.

The Layout: Our closet is a large walk-through closet. You have to walk through it in order to get to the bathroom on the other side. On each long wall are the usual clothes bars and shelving that you find in any closet, and right through the middle is just an empty walk way. One side has sliding glass doors to conceal the contents and the other is just an open area with the bar and shelves running along the top.

The problem: I hate cleaning out closets, and I'm no good at getting rid of things, even when I know that they're useless to me. Hubby is even worse than I am. On my side (the side with no doors) there were clothes ranging in sizes from 22 all the way down to 8. Probably 95% of the stuff taking up space in there will never ever be worn again. Hubby's side-- pants ranging from 30s, all the way to... ahem... he doesn't want me to divulge, but let's just say 'larger'.

The Plan: I started thinking the other day-- if I cleaned out the closet and got rid of all the stuff in there, we could fit all of our wearable stuff in one side, opening up a whole bunch of space. If I cleared up the side without doors, I could fit a sewing table in there, and use the bar for some of those hanging organizers to store my yarns, fabrics, etc. I could also line the top shelf with bins or cubbies of some sort, and have an actual craft space. Sure, it'd be fairly small, but it's a whole lot better than what I've got now.

So, it was just an idea until I opened up a Joann's email and it contained a 40% off and a $5 shipping coupon. Deal sealed. I'm making a craft room!

In the past three days I've hauled three enormous bags of clothing out of the closet destined for Goodwill, and two more have gone to the shed filled with winter stuff that we won't need for another 8 months or so. I've also packed a box off to my baby sister, which I hope she'll find useful and wearable. If not, she can always pass them along to someone else.

It feels good to declutter and get rid of all that junk, and I'm so glad I found a good reason to get my butt in there and do it.

Today J and I met up with Michele and we did some knitting while J played on an indoor playground, and we also did some shopping. I bought a slipcover for the couch. Yes, it's a fairly new couch, but I've learned that tan microfiber does not hold up well under the stress of a drooly child and two big dogs that sneak up there when we're not home. One of the cushions is lopsided, and not in that butt-print sort of way-- really lopsided, and Kelli has loosened up a seam across the back from standing on it to look out the window when we're not home. So, a slipcover will give us a bit more time with this couch before chucking it to the curb in disgust. I will never buy microfiber again.

But the big thing of the day, and perhaps the greatest mother's day gift I could ever receive is that while I was out having a blast- hubby was home cleaning his fool head off. Seriously. I know. He scrubbed the orange hard water stains out of the bathroom, steam cleaned all the carpets, cleaned the bedroom, and also steamed the couches. It looks almost brand new in here, or as brand new as a house can look when it's full of kid toys and dog hair. Makes me almost enjoy being home.

The garden is growing daily, the flower beds are colorful and full of life, the sidewalks are edged and the yard is clean. I'm almost tempted to invite everyone over, just to prove that I really don't live in a total dump.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

What a great Mother's Day gift! :)
And, how dare you post this exciting craft room renovation without pictures?!?! I can't wait to see it!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger me said...

I'm so happy I'm not the only one, Angie, who is a pack-rat. It's quite humbling knowing someone in my circle of friends is not berating me about it. We have our annual block sale here this weekend (Saturday) and I have three days to unclutter my apartment. I emptied out my locker in the basement last week. You could dance in there now! OMG!

I hope I can make a few bucks. I need to buy a couple of pizzas for my landlady for all her help throughout this "spring cleaning dilemma."

I could not have done this myself.

*HUGS!*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home