Thursday, August 21, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Who'd have thought that a measly little storm like Fay would devastate the county the way that it has? I mean, four days ago we weren't even in the projected path, and now, after three days of torrential and constant rain, people are standing around, waist deep in water, and scratching their heads.

I got trapped at work yesterday. I won't even begin to tell you how I feel about the fact that we were required to come to work in the first place, but by the time they realized that it was a stupid idea, it was too late for me, in my little car, to even attempt to drive home.

Luckily, one of my coworkers with a big SUV was willing to be brave and selfless. She not only took me home, but drove through some of the deepest waters- think cars overturned on the sides of the roads and folks floating around in boats all around us- to get me to my son first. A huge thank you to Katy!

Every canal, lake, and other retention device in the county is overflowed, and it's eerie to look around and everything looks like a lake dotted with houses. The lift stations aren't able to do their job, so there's sewage backing up into the flood water, there are catfish in people's front yards, and it's STILL raining. It has lightened up some, thankfully, and the canal behind my house has gone from cresting last night to about a foot below the bank, so I'm feeling pretty fortunate. But it'll be a long time before things are the same around here again.

I won't fill this blog full of photos, but if you care to see what it looks like, and you haven't seen the weather channel or any other sort of national news lately, feel free to check out Florida Today for a ton of different galleries.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home