Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Pimp My Space

I posted a while back about how I was going to take my closet and turn it into a sewing/craft area. Well, apparently I had big dreams about how much I could do in a 5 x 3 space!
Weekend before last, I finally got serious about getting things set up, and I bought a collapsible table and some wire storage to start organizing the space.


The table is 3 foot by 4, leaving me just a sliver of space on the side. The wire storage cubes are great for holding my yarn, but eventually I'll buy some cloth 'drawer' things to go in there to keep them dust free, or else invest in some big zip-locks. The set I bought formed six cubes, but I mis-measured by about 1/10 of an inch, and they don't fit double-stacked. I can always build them and set them somewhere else-- but where.

I know that it looks pretty stark and boring in there, but come on, it's a closet! I didn't figure it would be worth the effort to paint it/decorate it all nice. I'm looking for functionality over anything else.

But I'm realizing that, as a space, 3 x 5 isn't all that big, and I have a lot of high hopes for this little spot. So, all you crafty people out there. I've shown you the beginnings of my little spot. What would you add, or how would you organize stuff to get the most use out of it? I'm thinking I'll add a cork board across the back wall to hang notes/patterns, ideas, etc. on. And that blue thing folded up on the table is a shoe organizer that I can hang on the wall to use for holding little odds and ends and folded up works in progress, etc.

But what I want to know is, what would be your must-have if this were your space to work with. What would make it most user-friendly for you. I'm just a novice sewer, but I'm determined to learn, and want to start doing a whole lot more of it. And knitting, well, the only space that takes up is the yarn storage.

And in case you're wondering, the wheel and fiber is still staying in the living room. It's too lovely to tuck in a closet! :)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home