Thursday, October 09, 2008

Hello, Stranger

How did it get to be this long since I've posted anything? Seems like time flies lately. We are so darn busy with day to day stuff that I often don't even find time to sit down until well after 9 at night. Heck, some nights I pick J up from Abuela's house and he's asleep before we even get home. Makes me sad and feels like such a wasted day because I adore those sweet cuddly evenings with him after a long day of being apart. But what can you do? We're not the only folks in the world with wacky schedules, I know, so it hardly seems worthy of complaining about. But still. There are weeks where I feel like we've done nothing constructive together, and that all of our time is spent rushing to get from one place to another. Really all I want is to be able to cuddle up with him on the couch with a big stack of books, or a pile of legos, and not have to worry about what bags need to be packed for the next day, what lunches, what time we have to be where, and whether or not we even have clean underwear and socks for the morning.

And I catch myself trying to make up for our lack of time by spoiling him in little ways... a new DVD to watch at Abuela's. A new Hot Wheels car for not giving me a hard time in the morning. A Pokemon figure just because. Like he needs more STUFF, and as if silly little toys are going to make up for all the time we're losing out on.

He feels similar, I know, because he's clingy, whiny, and has even begun reverting to baby talk sometimes. Instead of saying "Mommy, can I have some juice?" He'll whine, point, and say "Juice! Juice! Juice!". Frustrating, but we just keep telling him that big boys use their words, and wait until he uses them to give him what he wants.

But it hasn't all been chaos and negative around here. Last week we celebrated two birthdays in the family, as well as our anniversary. We've never been ones to really go overboard on celebrations. We didn't take a romantic honeymoon after our wedding, and usually we simply go out to dinner, or bring home takeout. But this year we decided that we really needed to do something a little more special. In the time crunch that we've been in, it seems that our relationship has been given the biggest share of neglect. I mean, when it comes to everything that HAS to get done, we sometimes forget that we need to take time for US, too. We both took Friday off of work and reserved a nice hotel room on the beach.

I don't know if I can remember the last time we've spent any sort of time together, and it was wonderful. We had a nice dinner out, and then just simply vegged together at the hotel. Here's the view we woke up to in the morning.



Not the greatest picture, but we didn't think to bring a camera. This was taken with my cell phone from our balcony where we sat and sipped our coffee while watching the sunrise. Spectacular.

So that's what we've been up to. Other than that, we're just steadily working on our growing list of things we want to try and make for our handmade Christmas gifts. So far the list is HUGE, but the FO pile is tiny. I'm starting to get a bit nervous. But we'll get it done, I'm sure.

Today is my day off from work, but I have a silly staff meeting to attend, which eats a big chunk out of my day. But once we're home and done, J and I have a date with the sewing machine. He wants to help make another pair of 'puppy pants'.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Michele said...

sounds like you two had a good time. Glad you found some time to get away. The sunrise is gorgeous!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

I'm so glad you got some time to yourselves for your anniversary! :)

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful place to sip coffee in the morning. Glad you got to enjoy that. :)

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger me said...

Happy anniversary, Angie! Not a bad shot from a cellphone. Hell, I'd take that kind of view first thing in the morning anyday! 'Specially with our winters coming up!

I am in awe reading you describe your lives.

Somehow "these blogs" makes our lives more permanent, don't they?

I love that!

And here I am at midnight finally getting around - as you say - to doing things I normally do at a much earlier time.

Glad you got a way, hon. Sounds like you really needed to and hope you and the hubby do so more and more when you can!

Hugs, my friend and happy Friday and happy weekend.

Love, Mikey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home