Thursday, April 07, 2005

At least someone is getting published

My nephew, Steven, has joined an after-school writing program. How cool is that? Not just the fact that he's joined the program, but the fact that one exists at all?! I mean, really, he's only in kindergarten. When I was his age they were teaching us our alphabet, and not to eat paste.

I'm really excited for him. The program runs two weeks and it will focus on each child creating their own individual story and illustratiions. They will be typed, bound and then sent to a school-wide competition. Two winners from each grade will then be sent to the school board to compete with the other schools in the county.

I know that Steven has the ability to win this thing, hands down. He's, by far, the smartest 6 year old I've ever met. (And I'm not just saying that because he's my nephew) But I don't know how I feel about the school focusing on the cometition rather than simply creating something of quality that they can be proud of.

Maybe that's just my own non-confrontational insecurity talking, but I just think that so much in life is already about being better than everyone else. At six years old, shouldn't we be teaching our kids security and acceptance instead of teaching them that they have to win? If Steven doesn't win, will he be disappointed? Worse, will it turn him off of writing for the rest of his life?

Ok, so I'm being dramatic here. I just don't think that six year olds need everything to be about beating each other. Save that for middle school, or high school. For now, let's just encourage them and build their self esteem.

Or am I way out of line?

2 Comments:

At 1:20 AM, Blogger Laura said...

ya know, I suppose it has more to do with how they handle it. perhaps the contest is only impetus for them to try their best, but if it is treated as secondary to the program, I can see how it would be effective. Hopefully they'll manage that and give lots of positive feedback to encourage the kids. :)

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I remember this poetry contest stuff from when I was in elementary. . . I remember how badly I wanted to win. . . I never did lol, but I had that book of poems for years, it was bound with one of those black-plastic ring binder things. It's funny, I was so proud to get into that book, I really think that's where my love of writing poetry began.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home