Tuesday, June 21, 2005

A bad witch

I can't feel the seasons anymore. They come and go, and the only thing that changes is the temperature. It goes from hot to hotter and then back to hot again. We sweat at night in our sleep, and I feel guilty because my son deserves better.

Wil thinks my depression is coming back. I think I'm just tired. But again, it isn't fair that my one day off out of the week and I'm too damn exhausted to even enjoy it.

Wil says, "Take the baby to my mother for the day. Relax, read a book. Rest."

I can't do that. I need to be with my son. I need him near me, otherwise I'd spend the day agonizing over the fact that we're apart, and it's really our only day to be together. Then I'll feel guilty for not being a good mom, not loving him enough.

Summer today. It's grey, raining. The grass creeps up in the yard, tries to conquer the sidewalk, the flowers choke on the weeds. They are overwhelmed, just like me.

The house is messy. Not exactly filthy, but I wouldn't let my mother in if she knocked. There's no sense in trying to have a Martha Stewart home with four animals and a baby running around inside. We've got to get rid of these cats. God bless them. They're good pets. I love them, and I didn't take them in with the intention of it being a temporary thing. But they've got to go. I just can't do it anymore. I can't spend every spare moment being needed by something or someone else.

I'm going to get an aquarium. Fish are easy. They swim, they eat, occasionally you have to change a filter, clean the water. No big deal. They die and you flush them. I wonder if fish get bored? Do they yearn for freedom from their little glass oceans, or are they content in a ten gallon paradise?

Am I content in mine? I don't know. I don't know. I don't think I feel much at all. To do so would take up all the extra energy I have. I want to sleep for days. Sleep this headache away, sleep this back pain away, sleep the laundry and the dishes and the dirty floors clean. I want to sleep all of the broken stuff fixed, and then I want to hit the snooze button and sleep some more. So damn tired.

And I don't want Jonas to remember me this way. A tired old hag of a mother who barely has the energy to smile at him. The mother who sometimes skips dinner and opts for a bottle because bottles can be consumed lying down. The mother who wants to take him to the park, or the zoo, or hell, even to the store, just for a change of atmosphere, but looks at the prospect of having to pack a diaper bag, and put a stroller in the car, and actually drive wherever we're going, and instead, decides that the livingroom floor is a much more fun place than any park. I don't want to be my mother. I don't want to make Jonas feel guilty for wanting to do things just because I'm too tired to do them.

I'm not off to a very good start. And I'm tired... so damn tired.

5 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger Laura said...

*hug*

after my third hot dog last night i realized why I wanted to be outside....


having "you" time does not make your a bad mommy, hon, if you don't have any "you" time the quality of your mommy time will lower....

that's the theory anyway....I'll be online most of today if you're around.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Erin said...

You answered your own questions Ang.You're so tired and overwhelmed because someone or something always needs you - and the weariness is detracting from you being the Mom you want to be.

Your hubby and L have it right, and I promise you, finding time for yourself won't make you a bad Mommy, it will make you a better Mommy - and Jonas will remember the smiles, the trips to the zoo and the park and the whatever you do together AND he'll remember the days he got to go play with grandma and eat too many cookies and do grandma things.

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I'm doing an in-depth internet ssearch for your addy young lady...

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Maybe take him to Grandma's for a half day, or a couple of hours. Take a nap, a bath, relax a little, and then pick him up again. Or take him out to play in the yard - he won't know the difference between your yard and the park, he'll only know that the grass is fun to play with.

Maybe quit your job, be a stay-at-home mom. Could you and Wil share a car? You could drop him off in the morning and pick him up in the evening. Do you guys really need that bigger house right now? I've been poor all my life, I could teach you a million ways to scrimp on money, to cut out things you don't even know you don't need, and wont miss. Money wont buy you happiness, but extra time might.

Cut yourself some slack, Angie. Don't forget that taking care of yourself is an important part of taking care of your son.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Thanks y'all. I know, I sort of did answer my own questions here. I think I just needed to get it out so that I didn't feel so bad about the fact that sometimes I just don't have the energy to be a mommy and a housewife and a full-time employee.

Laura, I really do have to work, at least some, in order to cover the bills. And as long as I'm working, we do need the second car. Wil's shifts are so erratic, and I have to leave so damn early (6:00am) that it's nearly impossible to work out a share schedule that ensures that I have the carseat back in time to pick up Jonas.

The second car is not a big deal though, we don't make payments on it, and it only marginally affects our insurance. And it's much more efficient on gas than my bigger newer car.

We're pretty intent on moving, not necessarily because we NEED the extra space, but because we're tired of sinking money into this one only to have something else fall apart. But we're pretty sure that our dream house is taken, and it may be quite a long time before we find something else that we're willing to invest in, so we'll probably be here for a while longer.

I really don't know where else we can cut corners right now. We don't spend anything outside of the necessities. Jonas alone probably eats up over $700 a month between diapers, food, formula and daycare. YIKES! Thankfully, he'll be outgrowing the formula and baby food soon. That'll save us a huge amount of money. We've tried generic diapers, but with his sensitive skin he breaks out in rashes when he wears anything but Huggies.

We eat rice and beans and pasta and the only time there's meat in our house is when my dad sends it home. We buy generic everything that we can. I just don't know where else to cut that would enable me to stay home.

Any suggestions?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home