Wednesday, June 01, 2005

A new day

It feels weird to be in such a good mood when everything around me is in a state of uncertainty, but I am.

Jonas started his new school today after enjoying a long 4 day weekend with us. We did so much stuff this weekend. We found our new home. I refuse to call it anything but that, because to call it the house we want means that we don't really have it yet. It leaves that little bit of doubt dangling around in my mind, and if I leave it there to fester, it'll take over everything. We also went to the zoo. It was a hot and beautiful day, even if Jonas wasn't really interested in the animals. He did like the butterfly exhibit. I guess butterflies are just as appealing to infants as they are to adults.

On Monday, my dad had a big barbecue and we ate until we were sick. Ok, so Jonas is the only one that barfed, and it was because his Daddy Dave fed him an entire bowl of whipped cream. Ugh! We swam in the pool and played this addictive game called "Left, Right, Center." I ended up losing all my money, but at 75 cents a game, I didn't feel so bad about it.

But the best thing about the whole weekend was the fact that we were just together. Four days of family time doesn't come around often. It was wonderful just being together.

Jonas is pooped tonight after his first day. There are so many kids there that know him. I feel really good about it. Cody and Cara were there when I dropped him off this morning. They're my sister's ex's kids, and they still hang around. Cody and Steven are buddies, so that gives my sister an excuse to kidnap them every now and then. Cara was all over him all morning, according to the teachers. She really adores Jonas. And of course Steven was there, and insisted on checking on his baby J every hour. I find that touchingly sweet, that he cares so much about him.

One night a few weeks ago he confessed to me, "Aunt Angie, I don't like baby drool. It really grosses me out, but I don't mind when Jonas slobbers on my toys because he's my cousin and he can't help it." What a sweet and selfless thought to come from a six year old who's favorite stuffed turtle is being teethed upon!

So baby is napping. I hate that he's asleep this late in the afternoon. It means that he'll want to stay up half the night, but I don't believe in waking a sleeping baby just for my comfort and convenience. He's tired now, right?

In other news, we found a guy that'll do our A/C for less than half of the original estimate. Yes, it's still a brand new unit with a warranty, he's just not affiliated with any of the big named companies so he's not charging for reputation, I suppose. He's actually a patron of the restaraunt my sister waitresses at, and she's the one that referred him to me. God I love my sis sometimes. She's helped me out of a lot of tight situations.

I've also found a drywall guy, whenever he has time to come by. He's a friend of a friend who's recently quit his job and is looking for side jobs here and there. He's done drywall for 30 years, so I have all the confidence in the world that he'll do me right, and probably cheap, too. Heck, maybe I can even talk him into doing the tile work as well. Wouldn't that be a dream come true?!

I've got stucco folks coming out to give me estimates, and it seems that the only other major thing we're going to have to do is replace the master bedroom carpet and start cleaning out some of the clutter. It's amazing how much stuff two people can accumulate in just a few short years!

So, now we're down to the hard part. We've decided we need to find the cats new homes. It's not that we don't love them, or want them anymore. But Jonas still wheezes, and despite our best efforts to stay on top of kitty hair duty, it's just an impossible task to keep the house hair-free. Besides, they're really not getting the attention they deserve, and I don't think it's fair for them. So, anyone who might be interested in a sweet and loving cat with good manners please contact me. It's going to hurt to see them go, but I don't see how we have a choice in the matter. It's cruel to allow my son to be sick all the time when there's such a simple and obvious cure.

3 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Blogger Laura said...

wow you guys are really on top of stuff.. cool!!!!! i hope it all goes well, you deserve it. on the kitties, I will try to talk D into it. :) of course you know how I am with pets. *grin*

can cats be fed exed? I know that Garfield tried to ship Nermal to Abu Dahbi but I don't believe he cared much for Nermal's welfare.

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool on teh new place to be, and that Jonas is in a good new school. On the cats, that is a very hard choice...I might lean towards the kid going, but then, I have never seen your kid. Does he purr and keep your feet warm at night?

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

I probably stand a better chance of finding homes for the cats than the kid, D. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home