Thursday, September 22, 2005

Two Milestones,,,ok, three

Jonas has reached two new milestones this week:

Over the weekend he began taking his first wobbly little steps. Of course, I reach for the video camera, only to find that the damn thing picked this particular moment to go on the fritz. Figures!

At first it was just a step or two, bravely letting go of the couch, or the chair, or the dog, or whatever other upright surface he was clinging to. By Sunday evening it was full-fledged walking... across the livingroom, down the hall, into the kitchen sort of walking! How exciting!

He's so proud of himself he walks and giggles with delight at his newfound mode of transportation. Of course, he's had the ability for quite a while, but he's not the bravest of children when it comes to trying new things.

His second milestone is a product of the first... Jonas now has his very first black-eye. While visiting with his Abuela the other day he slipped on the wooden floor and landed eye-first, of course, on the little arm that raises the footrest of the recliner. It could have been a lot worse, I suppose, but I'm glad I wasn't there to witness it.

Here's the proof:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Cute, isn't it?


Ok, as if you guys aren't sick enough of hearing about Jonas: Last night he amazed me with something I had just about given up on. Ever since he was a tiny infant, we've done sign-language with him. Not every word, of course. I don't know THAT MUCH sign language, but we've done the alphabet as we sang, and the signs for cat, dog, bird, eat, drink, more... things like that. He's never once even made an attemt to mimic the hand gestures. We'd pretty much given up.

Last night as I was feeding him dinner he looked up at me with those big blue eyes, smiled, and made the sign for "more"!

It almost seems like he's been saving up all these great tricks to show them off at once. He's trying to talk more, he's walking, he signing... he's becoming a toddler instead of a baby. It's almost like watching a little flower bloom. I'm sure I'll feel this way a thousand more times as he continues to grow up, but for the first time in at least a month, parenthood isn't just a routine. It's these little surprises that keep us going, isn't it?

It sure as hell ain't the poopy diapers and the piles of laundry.

And now, after a 16 hour day, I'm off to fall asleep... or at least try to.

5 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger me said...

Makes me wonder how many 16 hour days Mom put in - before she went back to work - to raise us three to wherever we are today. No small feat, to be sure. Hugs dear and the lil guy looks adorable. Sign him up for pee-wee football and rename him Bronco McGurski. he looks tough like that! heehee Bet the rest of the kids at the playground tread lighly around him. Peace and all good things including the rest you need and deserve, hon. :-) Ciao!

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Awww, Ang, your first kid's first black eye - and you didn't freak out!? Good job!

he does look very mean in that OH_MY_GOD_HE'S_ADORABLE sort of way with the shiner. Congrats on the walking too - now my dear, for at least the next year or so, you might as well give up even thinking about sitting down - unless of course you have a spring loaded one somewhere :)

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

I was told the other day that I had a black eye on my first birthday from walking into a table... go figure. He's very cute!

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few (little!) knocks are probably good for a kid growing up, I mean, the world can be a pretty harsh place - may as well get used to it, eh?

And can I just say that I think teaching him sign language is an awesome idea. I wish my parents had though of that, especially as I have a deaf cousin who I was never able to communicate with. Jonas is a lucky boy, before he even starts school he'll have two languages under his belt. And what about the in-laws, think he'll pick up some spanish too?

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Jim, I think he knows more spanish than english, to be honest. Before long he'll be teaching me. :)

The sign language is really cool because kids can often gesture long before they can form words. I've never really thought about it as a long term skill for him.

Erin, I didn't freak out, actually. I guess I got the freak-out phase over with as Steven was going through this phase. Or maybe it's just a Mommy gene. My best friend still lunges for him every time he wobbles even the slightest. You can tell she doesn't have any kids! :)

Mike, I'm sure, from all of the fond memories you have, that your mother put in her fair share of VERY LONG days.

Vickie, my mom has a picture of me and my brother where he's missing half his teeth and I've got a black eye. A studio portrait no less! Kids are tough... and they bounce pretty well. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home