Monday, February 27, 2006

Thousandaires!

We're well on our way to refi land! Looks like, after all of our bills are paid off, we'll be getting a check for around $20,000. That's more money than we've ever had in our hands at one time. Of course, most of that is claimed in the way of house repairs, but there will be enough left for me to register for my medical transcription course. And because we won't have nearly as many bills, since we'll have no credit card debt, or car payments to make, we'll be in a better place financially. So much so that I'll be able to quit my job and focus on school and, most importantly, being Jonas's mommy.

It's such a relief, after all this time of struggling to get by, to know that we're going to be ok, and all the guilt of leaving J for 12 hour stretches at a time in the care of someone else is nearly over. I'll work until I'm registered and until they find my replacement, but after that I'm free!

It's not so much that I hate my job. There are some aspects of it that I love, and I work with a group of pretty great people. Sure, there are a few that make it miserable, but I'll miss most of them.

Doing the math the other night we realized that without my paycheck, and with the decrease in money going out each month, we'll be in about the same position we're in now with me working. Add into that the cost of daycare and the gas I use commuting across town and back, and the fact that my income puts us in a higher tax bracket, and it's actually advantageous for me to stay home.

Eventually, once I complete my course, I'll work again. It'll be at least six or nine months from now, but transcription is something I can do from home, in my off-hours.

Finally, for the first time in nearly two years, I feel like I can breathe again.

5 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

You don't know how happy I am for you!!! I know that you will breeze by the transcription course, what with your medical mind & all. And getting to stay home will be so wonderful (most of the time *smirk*). There's light at the end of the tunnel!
Oh, I'm so excited! Congratulations, Angie. You really deserve this.
*running off to tell your brother. . .*

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger me said...

Excellent, excellent news, Angie!!! Glad to hear ~ALL~ of it. You've worked hard, done the math on the re-fi and now finally things begin to take shape and solidify not only for you but you and yours. Some strange and miraculous news comes about via a small nest egg and a re-fi and it sounds like it may very well change the entire palor of family life, stability and well, EVERYTHING!

Blessings to you and yours and good luck, future stay at home WORKING!!! Mom with an income.

Good job!

Hugs!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Ang, that's absolutely awesome - I'm so happy you're getting to do this. The classes are a great idea for a flexible income down the road, and the math with taking away the expense of childcare is eerie, isn't it?

Yay you! *does a happy dance* It's a good feeling to breathe. :)

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Thanks for sharing my excitement y'all. You know I've really been a wreck about quitting my job. Not once in the last 13 years have I been unemployed. There's a guilt factor there. I'm afraid of how hard it's going to be to justify any sort of spending on my part if I'm not bringing anything in, ya know? But I'm sure I'll get over it. :)

You know, for two days a week of daycare we paid well over $3000 last year. I'm sure those folks earn every penny of it, but jeez! Imagine if I had to put him in full-time. Makes me very very appreciative of my in-laws.

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool to read, Angie. I am glad that it is working out for you and that you will be able to take classes for (hopefully) a funner career. I am sure that staying at home will seem strange at first, but you will get used to it. You can get pointers from Laura about being a general contractor. And..well, I wonder how long it will be before you want to put Jonas back in daycare for a day or six so you can slip back to the relaxation of work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home