Monday, August 07, 2006

What a day!

Jonas had quite a day today. More correctly, Mommy had quite a day today- Jonas was just along for the ride.

It's no secret that he's needed a haircut for quite some time. I mean, how many kids make it to their second birthday without ever having a trim?! It's my fault, really. I mean, with delicious little ringlets like his, how can you justify chopping them all off? But he takes after me in the tender-headed department and those ringlets that I love so much have turned into more of a battle than they're worth lately. I can't stand torturing him daily with a bottle of detangler and a brush.

So yesterday I sat and ran my fingers through those lovely curls for the last time. I sat and watched them spring and bounce as he ran with a heavy melancholic feeling in my gut. I never knew it would be so hard for me to finally give in and cut his hair.

But sometimes you just have to give in and do what you know is right, and what you know will make your life easier, regardless of how much it hurts.

Here we are, signing it at the cutesy little kids salon. He really wasn't all that unhappy about being there, it's just that he had fallen asleep in the car on the way, so he was really just waking up.



And here I am disagreeing with the stylist who was wanting to give him a buzz-cut. The hell you're going to take a pair of clippers to my baby's head!



And while he didn't particularly enjoy the experience, despite the colorful atmosphere and the cartoons on the tv, he took it very bravely. Much more bravely than his mother did. (Is it ok to admit that I actually cried as I watched those curls pile up on the floor?)


Notice the unamused look on his face. He didn't cry, he didn't freak out, but he most certainly wasn't going to crack a smile!

And here he is! All done and looking so handsome- and so very much like his DADA.



Still, he is not amused with the whole ordeal. We made it better with some lunch and shopping. More "Toe" parts, (that's Mr. Potato Head, for those of you who aren't fluent in J-manese) and a really cool retro wooden pull along xylophone toy that looks like a frog.

Here's the other really cool thing! While waiting for his turn in the chair, we wandered around in a few of the adjoining stores. Because I agreed to knit Granny a pair of socks (can you say Mystery Sock KAL?!) we went into the A.C. Moore and I let her pick the yarn she wanted. Being the adventurous person that she is, she decided to try her hand at knitting, too. So, two balls of chunky, funky yarn and a pair of size 11's later, I had Granny set to go! And look at her go! By the time I left this afternoon she had already completed three rows on her very first scarf! Aren't you proud of me, Amanda?! I brought another one to the dark side! *evil laughter*



And speaking of Amanda, and of knitting- I came home to find a package in the mail from her. Inside were some really cute pictures of the nephew, these neat goodies from Japan...


And what are those shiny little things there? Why yes, they're my mock croc memento stitch holders, hand made my Mrs. Crafty herself! Here's the closeup. And check out the really cute bulldog embossed card! I'm curious to know if she made that herself, too? Love it!


And that was my very, very big day. I'm still adjusting to the fact that I don't have any sweet little baby curls to run my fingers through, but I have to admit that J-man looks very handsome and very grown up with his new style. And I'm looking forward to not having to torture him daily- not to mention the $10 worth of detangler I'll be saving myself from every month! (No joke, we use about three or four bottles a month!)

Tomorrow is "start cleaning the house" day around here. Gotta start getting ready for the party, and while I don't have any friends that are so snobbish that they'll care about a little dog hair in the corners and whatnot, there's always that need to make things as neat as possible. So, if they're willing, J will go visit Abuela for a while tomorrow while Granny and I get busy with the cleaning, and perhaps a knitting break or two. :)

4 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Oh Annnnng, his curls! I'd have cried too, I adored his curls! But I have a good friend (or used to, haven't seen her since I stopped working) who had a little girl with hair just like J's and I know how hard it was on her (the kid, AND the mom) so...

*sigh*

He really does look so handsom now doesn't he, and more grown up and I might just cry because he looks so much more "boy-ish" and not so "baby-ish!"

Cripes, I cry about everything anymore!

Granny, however, makes me smile - look at the smile on her face!! If knitting makes a person that happy, maybe I should try it!

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Yeah, maybe that's the hard part--realizing that he's not a baby anymore. Ugh.

And E, I didn't just save a single tuft of his hair, I scooped up a whole ziplock bag full!

Yes, I'm a freak.

My biggest fear was that I'd cut off his curls and they'd never grow back the same... like they wouldn't be as curly or something. I can tell from what's left that there's no danger of that happening! Makes me feel a whole lot better.

Just as a funny tidbit- my word verification here is "ahhknt". Ahhh... knit! Yes, I think I will!

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger me said...

I think the short hair on the J-tyke looks awesome, Ang. High and tight, baybee! ;-)

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Yaaaaaay!!!! Look at her! You go, Bertie! Good job, Ang.

Yes, Erin, you should try it. :)

And I love the word verification! Ahhknt, indeed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home