Friday, September 01, 2006

Sock Sleuth

I finished my Mystery Socks last night before going to bed. The pattern was the Seashell Sock from knitaddicted, which I would provide a link to, were I not in a hurry to post this and go get the munchkin.

It was a nice pattern, and one that I wouldn't mind repeating at all. My biggest problem was getting them to turn out the right size. The pattern says to knit them with on size 1's, and when I knit a swatch it was a bit small. Not owning any size 2's and not wanting to spend any extra money this week, I moved up to size 3's and knit really tightly. After getting a couple of repeats in on the size 3's, the socks looked way to large, and so I went back to the size 1's.

I turned the heel on my size 1's, did a couple of repeats, and realized that they fit me ok. (I had to work to get them over my ankle, but once there, they weren't too tight) But, these socks were intended to be for someone else. Someone else with a slightly larger foot and a much wider ankle than myself. Sigh!

So, back to the size 3's. I completed my first sock and had the recipient try it on. It fit perfectly, despite it's deceptively enormous looking size. A new lesson for this novice knitter! Looks can be deceiving! Finally confident that I was not wasting my time on the size 3's, I finished the second one rather quickly.

So here they are in all their stripey glory.


I think I'd like to see this knit up in a solid color. It would probably give more definition to the shell pattern.

1 Comments:

At 2:38 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Seriously! You're finished?!? I hope to actually cast on for mine tomorrow. *grin* Those look so great--and I'm glad they fit! Isn't that just the definition of perfect? If I knit something and it actually fits, I'm totally in love. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home