Friday, September 08, 2006

Twilight Zone

My computer is out to get me! I hear it at night, and in the wee hours of the morning, plotting an evil scheme with the PDA to totally destroy life as I know it.

Every now and then this beast of a desktop goes and dumps something of mine. Never anything truly substantial. Except for time it gave us it's sinister blue screen of death and we had to format the hard drive.

Ever since then, it's been operating fine, but it's playing with my mind. For instance: This morning I wake up, turn on the beast, rub my eyes, open my email and it says that I have 4 new messages. Sure enough, there are four highlighted messages, indicating that they haven't been read. So I open the first one and it's oddly familiar. Deja vu? (or however you spell that!) So I open the next one and yes! I've read this one too. But wait! As I'm sitting there wishing there was more coffee in my cup, the little "bing-bong" of the new mail song goes off and in comes a new message. New eh? Yep, I've already received this one, too.

That's funny, the date on all of these "new" messages says 9/4. Now, I know that when I quit working, the dates stopped meaning much, but I'm pretty sure it's more like the 7th or 8th today, right?

Scrolling through, I ree that my most recent mail, besides these that just came in postmarked (can you call e-mail "postmarked"?) is from 9/1. I'm not the most popular person in the world, but I do know that I've had a few email in the last week or so. So where is it?

Apparently it went poof.

Can you hear the evil chortle coming from the humming grey box at my feet?

So, if you've sent me email recently and I haven't responded, it's not because I'm some stuck-up snob or because I consider myself too busy to stop and write back. I just truly don't know where your email went.

I've also just discovered that a handful of my bookmarks are playing hide and seek, too. Luckily, I know most of my favorite sites by heart, or can get there through a link on someone else's blog. Yeah, I know there's that thing called bloglines, and it makes like a lot easier. But for some reason I have an aversion to it. Not sure why, but I like to do my surfing the old-fashioned way.

Anyway, I think I'll go pour myself another cup of coffee. Maybe if I turn my back for a minute everything will magically return to it's proper place.

1 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Very weird. Creepy, even. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home