Tuesday, October 03, 2006

While everyone else is picking apples...

here I am picking limes. We've all heard the old saying about "When life gives you lemons..." and knowing that the same must hold true with their green cousins, I set to work in the kitchen this afternoon to see what I could come up with.

And the answer is so obvious that it's almost painful.


Three eggs, a can of sweetened condensed milk, and about 1/2 to 3/4 cups of lime juice mixed together, poured into a graham cracker crust and baked just long enough to kill any nasty egg bugs. Toss in fridge until set and chilled and Ta-Da! Key lime pie.

Of course, one pie, no matter how sour you want it, can use up that many limes, so, what's the obvious next step? Uh-huh.




Cherry Limeade baby! Ok, so besides the fact that crushed ice makes the real McCoy, this is a dead ringer for Sonic's. Jonas was napping so I couldn't quite justify breaking out the blender to crush ice.

3 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

My mouth was watering the minute I started reading the ingredients! :) Yummy!
We have a lemon tree, but our lemons are still green. Thankfully, the ones at the local nursery are, too. *grin* She said they'll probably ripen over Christmas! Maybe I'll get to put a lemon meringue pie on the holiday table . . . .

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Eve said...

All I keep hearing in my head is:

"You put the lime with the coconut..."

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Come on over Eve! I'll round up some coconuts!

Amanda! I had no idea that you could grow a lemon tree in Oregon! Neat. Once again, you've proven the merits of Pacific Northwest living. :) You've got the best of both worlds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home