Saturday, April 28, 2007

Hello Nurse

Gaahhh!!! You know, things can never be simple here.

I've spent the past 7 hours sitting in the state of the art emergency department of our local hospital watching my husband receive piss-poor care. Now, I'm not trying to imply that he's in a condition that is as life threatening as, say, the guy who took a meat-cleaver to the head, but he is sick, and a little communication could go a long way.

So while we sit there watching the IV bag empty, still waiting on a pillow or a blanket, or maybe a Tylenol to help with the 103.5 fever, we have no idea that they've decided to admit him until I finally take a stroll out to the desk to finally complain about the no pillow/blanket situation.

"Oh, they're getting ready to transfer him."

"Really? Where to?"

"You mean they didn't tell you?"

"Ummm, I guess not."

"They're keeping him. We're just waiting on a bed to open up."

"Oh, ok. Well, it might have been nice to know that, say 5 hours ago."

So two transfers later, he's finally in a permanent room, and I'm left to meander my way through 1/4 mile of corridor back to the emergency department to find my car so that I can come home, walk the dog, pack a few things, and head back.

All over what started out as what we thought was in ingrown toenail.

Now it's gone to cellulitis, parenechia, a question of a blood clot, a nasty infection, and Wil groveling about whether or not he's going to lose his leg. Of course, he's a bit dramatic. Most likely it'll just be a few days of IV antibiotics and some time off from work while it heals.

Ugh. I'm incoherent, I know.

And on a personal whiney note, which seems so absolutely superfluous while he sits there feeling miserable... WHY THE HELL DID IT HAVE TO BE RIGHT WHEN I'M GETTING READY TO GO ON VACATION?!

There's some sort of bad karma between me and Pennsylvania, I swear. Last year it was brush-fires that shut down the interstates making it impossible to get to the airport. And now this. So much for Faerie Festival. So much for MD Sheep and Wool (which I was secretly jumping for joy about being able to go to.)

*sigh*

Back to the hospital for me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Eh, gads! I hope the antibiotics do their job. But I am not-so-secretly glad that you get some knitting time out of it. :)
*And I hope it doesn't totally ruin your vacation plans. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home