Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Still alive... sort of

A visit to the pediatrician revealed that sweet J-man is suffering from his first case of strep. Poor boy. He was so sick by Monday morning that between puking everwhere, he managed to sleep through the entire doctor's visit, and didn't even stir when they gave him a throat swab, and more amazingly, three suppositories. THAT'S sick.

Look at that pitiful face:

And that's after some recovery- not at his worst.

We're all sick, actually. Hubby was the last to catch it, and he's suffering through the worst right now. It's not exactly happy times here. But we're slogging through, and I'm actually feeling quite a bit better today. Well enough to be upright without the world spinning out of control around me.

Even the dog seems to want to be in on the action. She's got a case of chronic happy tail, meaning she beats her tail against every surface, rendering the tip a bloody mess. Anyone whose ever owned a happy tail dog knows what the aftermath looks like-- an apparent murder scene that would give the folks at CSI a run for their money. So, being fed up with constantly cleaning my walls, floors, doors, and furniture of blood spatter, she is now sporting the latest in doggy fashion.



The E-collar is simply to keep her from chewing the bandage off of her tail. It'll have to stay on for another week or so. The only other option is tail amputation, and while that sounds mighty tempting to me- never having to deal with this problem again, and never having to worry about excited little welts all over my legs, I just can't justify major surgery on a perfectly healthy dog simply for my convenience. We'll wait for her to do some major damage, I suppose.

But this post isn't all bad. In the time that I've been home, and able to sit up straight, I've managed to finish spinning my first ounce of really pretty roving, and I think that I did a pretty darn good job of it, considering I'm still such a novice.
Lookie!

Now to spin up the second ounce, and get them plied properly.

Back on my birthday I was given a rather hefty gift certificate to yarnmarket. I was holding off, trying to decide what I might like to spend it on. I mean, it's not every day that I have a whole lot of yarn money, and I didn't know if I should blow it all on one extravagant piece. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that if I were to buy a sweater's worth of extravagant yarn, it'd only get an opportunity to be worn maybe once a year. So, instead, I got sort of a pupu platter of sock yarns to play with, a half pound of pretty roving, and some new needles. I've always wanted to try bamboo needles, but I'm not a fan of DPNs. So I got myself some Crystal Palace bamboo circs in size 2 and 3, and also an Addi Turbo in size 1. I was afraid I might break a size 1 bamboo too easily. I can't wait to try them out. I think 2008 will be the year of socks for me. :)



Here you see all the goodies- sorry the picture sucks. It's been not so sunny lately. I've got Tofutsies in "stand on your own two feet" (the bluey-purple one) and "tenderfoot" (the pinker one). There's also Maizy in Chameleon, which is totally out of my usual color scheme, but I love it. Two balls of Regia Landscape Earth, and Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Les Fleurs. The Regia and Lorna's look to be quite similar in color, which they did not appear to be on the website. I love them both, but probably would have chosen a different color if I'd had a true idea of how similar they are. Oh, and don't miss that big old bag of fluff in the back! That's Cherry Tree Hill potluck roving. I can't wait to play with it. :)

And that is all there is to report from here. Haven't done a whole lot of knitting or spinning this week due to all the germy warfare going on. Hopefully that'll change soon enough.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Aww that sucks that you guys are sick. Maybe it was a good thing that we didn't get together last weekend. Sorry I didn't make more of an attempt to get together but T was is a cleaning/organizing kind of mood and I just had to go with it. You know how it is :-)

You scored on yarn!! Nice assortment. I think I would have done exactly the same thing. I would rather have a whole bunch of stuff than one sweater work on.

So if you're felling better want to meet up this weekend??

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, my that bobbin looks amazing! It's so THIN!!!! I'm in awe--and now really wanting to get back to my wheel. :) Yay, Ang!
Hope y'all (people and animals, alike) are on the mend, soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home