Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Air Show, and Knitting, and Kittens, Oh My!

We had a fairly busy weekend around here, but I somehow managed to get a little knitting done, too.

On Sunday we met up with Thomas and Michele for an air show that was literally minutes from their house. I figured that J would really love it, seeing as how he's completely smitten with his model airplanes. Well, he did really like the airplanes, but it was a tough day to be a shortie. It was very windy, and the airport where the show was had no shade, and was mainly dry sandy dirt. The poor kid was getting pummeled with sand in his face and eyes, and it made him miserable almost immediately. No sooner had we spread out a blanket and all got situated did he turn to me and say "Let's go home."

We compromised, though. He took my glasses, and that made it a little better. I was a bad mom and didn't even think about packing his sunglasses or even sunblock. *smacks forehead* I just can't seem to get organized lately at all. I wasn't real keen on him wearing my prescription glasses around, thinking of what horrible harm I might be doing to his vision, but my prescription isn't very strong, and it made him content. Besides, he's a pretty cute bespectacled kid, isn't he? Kind of reminds me of the kid from Jerry McGuire... "The human head weighs 8 pounds."



J's favorite part was watching the F-14 fly. He was amazed that by the time he could hear it, it was already long gone.

We wandered around and looked at all the planes on display, and he even got to climb a ladder to look in the cockpit of one. Fun times.

Afterwards, Michele and Thomas were kind enough to have us stay for a barbecue at their house and J had a grand time chasing around the backyard with their beagle, Diana. He pitched the ultimate fit when it was time to leave, but that seems to be the way lately. The child simply doesn't switch gears well.

When we got home it was already dark, and J was asleep. Wil went in while I was getting J unloaded from the car, and sitting on the entry rug was one of the little kittens. Somehow Kelli (the big dumb dog) managed to get the bathroom door open, and spent the day tormenting kittens. The baby was nearly dead, cold as ice, soaking wet, and hardly breathing. Luckily, Kelli isn't a mean dog. I think she thought that they were just squeaky toys, because if she was interested in eating/killing them, she certainly could have. This is where I am thankful for J falling asleep in the car!

I was able to get the kitten warmed up with hot water bottles and some vigorous rubbing, and rubbed honey on his gums to bring his blood sugar back up. Even then, I didn't hold much hope for him. But once he was relatively warm, supplemented, and dry, there really wasn't much else I could do. I put him back in the box with the others and mom, and said a little prayer that he'd make it through the night.

Amazingly, he did. And now when we're not home, Kelli gets to spend the day in her cage. I just can't trust her right now, and she's picked up a lot of bad habits lately, like peeing on the floor in the livingroom. So, a little crate time isn't going to kill her, and it'll give me peace of mind until these kittens are gone.


Whew... onto the knitting.

I made myself promise to finish up some straggling stuff before starting anything new, so on the ride up to the airshow I finished off an irish hiking scarf that I'd started back in November, and then lost interest in. It's not my favorite project. It's not that the pattern is bad or anything, but I used some acrylic from my stash, and well, acrylic is great for crocheted afghans, but not so good for cabled scarves. Oh well, it's finished at least. Here's the bad picture to prove it.


I had also started a little bookmark for J's teacher, whose birthday is Thursday, but realized that the pattern and yarn weren't doing each other any justice, so I scrapped that one, and I *drum roll please* finally cast on for the Ballet Cami that I was supposed to have been knitting along with Michele for the past 6 months! Michele, I'm just finishing the ribbing! :) And there you have it-- long post done.

Oh, and did I ever show you the tidal wave socks? I love them! This might become my standby sock pattern. Easily memorized, interesting detail without much fuss. A quick knit, even with the impossibly thin and inelastic Tofutsies yarn. I love the color of this yarn, but my love for it ends about there. It's splitty, tiny, and feels 'stringy' on my feet. I could never walk a marathon in these. It would rub blisters on my toes. But they're cute as can be, and that makes them totally wearable. :)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Glad you guys had a good time, I know we did. Sorry you had to drive forever to get to my area. Why do we have to live on opposite ends of the earth?

Well I am glad the kitty was ok, bad Kelli! Which one was it?

The scarf looks good, wasn't it supposed to be a gift for someone? The socks look great too, I may have to knit that pattern next.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Airplanes and knitting--what more could you ask for? :) The scarf and socks look great. And speaking of looks, Jonas is your MiniMe in those glasses! Wow! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home