Sunday, February 17, 2008

I must be insane

My super crafty SIL proposed that this year we try a handmade Christmas instead of dealing with the consumerism overload that we dealt with this past year. Now, I'm totally all for it. I love the idea of handmade goodies and they certainly are much more meaningful than anything you can buy in the store. I've already begun deciding what to make everyone, and figured that if I want to even pretend that I'm going to finish on time, I'd better get started NOW. Besides, won't it be lovely when November rolls around and everyone is stressing out and scrambling from one store to the next to get that last lead-painted plastic must-have on their list, to be sitting back, sipping coffee and otherwise being content and finished. Don't worry, I'll only chuckle at you under my breath.

Ever since she proposed the idea, I've been obsessed with finding just the right thing for each person. No generic gifts here! So far my list is going pretty good, and I've got a solid idea of everything I want to do. The problem? Right now I'm feeling incredibly brave-- as if I can take on and master anything, and I'm afraid I may be stepping out of my crafty realm in some areas... even bookmarking crochet patterns *gulp*, and sewing patterns. *bigger gulp* I know for a fact that I wield a hook about as gracefully as an elephant walks a tightrope. And my sewing machine? It's buried under a stack of dog brushes and combs and about 5 years worth of dust in the hall closet.

But I WANT to do these things, and I think I can, given enough time and patience. I've got all the time I need, I'm sure. It's the patience that I usually find myself lacking. And so, if you find me curled up in some dark corner, rocking back and forth and wildly muttering something about seam allowances and jammed up bobbins while trying to slit my wrists with a size J hook, just back away quietly and call the guys with the white coats.

I always start out with the greatest of intents and faith in myself, but I know myself well enough to also realize that I'm going to have some major failures and reassessments before this is all done. But it'll sure be fun to get to play with the sewing machine again now that J's old enough to know not to eat the pins or stick his fingers under the presser foot.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Sounds like you got a lot ahead of you now! Do you think that the library would mind if we hauled the sewing machines there? I need to shake the dust off mine too :-)

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

I'm with you, sis! I'm making a list (checking it twice. . . ) of all kinds of cool stuff. Trying to stay away from too much knitting since it takes so long. Sewing is much faster! :) I did find a knit vest that "looks" like my dad that I may attempt--'cause I get all the credit of knitting a sweater without having to do sleeves! Heh.
I really want to do a sweater for B since he's so wonderful. I even have the yarn & pattern (from a few years ago). Just have to find time to implement.
Hoping to be sipping coffee with you rather than rocking in the corner, but right now it's anybody's game. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home