Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Gee, thanks

There's no denying that my son is big for his age. He's not a fat kid, just big. He tops the charts in both height and weight, and you don't have to tell my back that he's almost freakishly heavy. It's never been a real issue with us, and we've often laughed at the fact that he and his 9-year-old cousin wear about the same size in clothes. It makes for laundry day chaos. But there is one major problem I've been facing recently: His car seat.

Now state law says that children MUST ride in a carseat with a 5 point harness until the age of 4 AND 40 pounds. Well, we've got the 40 pounds licked, but we're still pretty far from the appropriate age for converting his seat to a booster. But the straps are only rated safe up to 40 pounds, and, well, have you ever tries stuffing a big kid into a little seat? It's no fun. Fully extended, the straps just barely reach around him, and the buckle between the legs? Well, it's most uncomfortably wedged under his butt. Seriously, if he's got on anything thicker than a t-shirt and jeans, forget it.

At a loss for what to do, I recently queried his pediatrician's office with my dilemma. They searched all their safety books, consulted with their manuals, and came up empty handed. No one can tell me if it's safer to convert his seat based on his weight, or to continue cramming him in because of his age.

So, I sat down with all my car seat information, and I wrote a letter to the sheriff's office asking their take on the situation. I was thorough, listing the brand of seat I was using, that it's rated up to 100 lbs as a booster, the positioning of it in my car, my car make and model, my son's height, weight, and age info. And I asked for suggestions on the safest way to strap him in.

Here's the response I received:
"Most straps on car seats are rated to 40lbs. but there are some out there made for larger children and the straps can go all the way to 65lbs. They are not as common but they are out there.
Thanks"

Ummm... ok, well, until I can find one of these elusive car seats, what am I supposed to do? Is my son safe riding with a harness labeled for 40 lbs and under until I can get my hands on (and afford) one of these larger seats? And perhaps a link to an appropriate manufacturer, or seat? That was a lot of help. I'm not asking for them go go out and buy one for me, but just a little help would be appreciated.

Tax dollars hard at work.

Anyone know where I can find the husky seats? And I have to admit that, while his safety is certainly number 1 on my priority list, I'm a bit put off at the prospect of having to shell out a couple hundred bucks for a new seat that he'll use for all of 5 months before he can use the perfectly good booster I already have.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger Michele said...

I would definitely just use the booster you have. He meets the weight requirement so its really not all that safe to keep him in the seat he's in. If you think about it, besides weight, what's the real reason that they have an age requirement? if it's only 5 months until he's 4 I would just put him in the booster.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Eve said...

I hear you on having a big kid. Anthony is 32 lbs right now, and the booster he is in -the strap between his legs is right at his crotch. I don't see him lasting in it very much longer, at least not all the way until he is 4 and can use it as a belt positioner without the 5 pt harness (which like yours, only goes up to 40 lbs)

There are several out there -many of them are pricey. This one is what I hear is the most economical -Safety 1st/Alpha Elite Apex 65.

Uses the 5 pt harness up to 65 lbs, and can be used as a belt positioning booster to 100 lbs.

http://www.safety1st.com/product/detail.asp?ID=2599

Prices are generally around $130
http://www.nextag.com/apex-65-booster-seat/search-html

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

If you don't want to buy a 65-lb. seat (and I can't blame you), I think it would be safe to use the booster.
I can't imagine that age restrictions beyond one year (while their neck muscles are still weaker) are based on physiology. What does being 4 have to do with how safe you'll be in a seat?
If what you have won't hold him weight-wise, and you have a weight-appropriate restraint (provided that he's also tall enough for it to fit him properly, and I doubt that's a problem), I think you can safely use it.
Tough situation to be in, for sure. Good luck!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Thanks for your opinions, guys. You know, I really would like to buy him a new 65-lb seat, as I do feel that the 5pt harness is a safer restraint than just a seat belt. I've done some research, and the one Eve recommended seems great, but will not work in my car. The reason it is less expensive is because the headrest is less solid, and must be used in a seat with a headrest attachment, which my back seat does not have. I'd have to go with the nearly $300 Britax, which is so big it will not leave J much legroom, if I can get it wedged in at all.

So, it seems the logical choice is to go with the booster that I already have. It worries me to no end to be moving him into a seat when the law clearly says I shouldn't, but doing so seems much safer than continuing to carry him in a seat that isn't weight appropriate. Besides, August will be here soon enough, and I doubt any officer will ever pull me over and insist on seeing his birth certificate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home