Sunday, February 10, 2008

Window shopping

This weekend hubby and I decided to go window shopping for some new furniture. If our bedroom wasn't in a complete state of chaos and disorganization I'd take a picture so you could see just how horrendous our current ensemble is. Think 80s, think enormous, think laminated wood. Imagine a 9 foot long headboard on a queen size platform bed. Now squeeze that into a bedroom that's only about 13 feet wide. Yeah, that bad and then some.

But it's served its purpose well over the years, being handed down to us by friends when we literally had little more than an old full size mattress and a $5 screw together table in there. So don't get me wrong when I say I'm over it. It's not for lack of appreciation, it's just time for something new. Something OURS. Something we can choose together and enjoy for many years to come.

Oh, and I was on a mission to find a coffee table for the living room, too. I wanted something with lots of storage potential since many of J's toys reside in the living room. It would be nice to be able to store them in something that looks like it actually belongs in a living room, ya know?

Is this post making me sound materialistic? I'm really not. Anyone who's read here for any length of time would know that, though. I'm just sick of the "early Goodwill look we've got going on.

So, four furniture stores later, we wander tiredly and mostly discouraged into the last one on our list. So far we've found a few 'maybe' types of things, but nothing that's made us both stop and go "Wow!" And if we're going to spend an ungodly amount of money, we want it to be something we're both going to love for a long time.

Imagine our shock when we wandered upon a set of bedroom furniture that we both loved instantly!

I'm especially lusting after the chest that sits at the foot of the bed. I have this weird love of boxes, and a beautiful chest fits well into that odd obsession. Of course, we won't be buying the entire set, as that would be furniture overkill. We're just going with the bed, the dresser/mirror combo, and (just to spoil me) the chest.

And look! They had a coffee table that fit the bill, too!

Not only does this bad boy have plenty of room to toss J's toys into, but I totally love the lifting top on it. Have I ever told you that we don't have a kitchen table? We eat on our laps every single meal. There's just no room in our house for a big table. Especially considering our dining area is currently the office. I know this sort of table design isn't something new, but I'm still in love with it's functionality. And most importantly, we both agreed upon it instantly.

But wait... there's more.

On the way out of the store Jonas spotted this cute little thing, and it is a perfect solution to the "no table" dilemma.


Our kitchen just isn't big enough for a true table and chairs, but this little bar and stool set will fit nicely and won't take up much space at all. And while it's certainly not the most durable piece of furniture I've ever seen, the price is certainly right.

Of course, there's lots of other things we have to accomplish before we can actually bring our new finds home, but the list is made, and that brings us one step closer.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Congrats on the furniture finds! I have a helluva time deciding on furniture, although B is about ready to chuck the whole house and redo. Yikes!
And I hear you on the boxes thing . . . I love trunks! :)

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Cool table. Love the doors on the bottom. Where did you find it? We went shopping in melbourne a few times on the hunt for new couches. We don't have a lot of dining room space either. Our solution was a bar style table from IKEA and two bat stools with backs. Now we just have to go get them. so does that mean you are going to ditch the entertainment center too?

 
At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like all the furniture. I've never had a new bedroom set myself. Congrats on choosing one you both love.
The 'breakfast bar' is so cute. I've always like the idea of that.

Lots of luck with all the new stuff!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Oooh Furniture shopping! The coffee table in my living room does that too! (The top lifts up) It doubled as our dining table for a lot longer than it should have!

We still don't have furniture in our bedroom either, and have to go shopping. Roy and I have vastly different tastes though so the process is unbearingly stressful. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home