Friday, May 20, 2005

In the words of Bob Marley

I called the day care center where my nephew, Steven, goes after school to see if they had any openings for Jonas. It was incredible. The minute I told them that I was Steven's aunt, the owner picked up the phone and told me that she had already hired another teacher just so that there would be an opening for Jonas. Wow! Someone else cares enough about my son to do something like that. I was overcome with relief.

I didn't sleep last night, trying to figure out how in the hell we were going to be able to pull Jonas out of his current place and find somewhere else that was safe and affordable. When I dropped him off this morning, I cried all the way to work, worried about how he would be, and how I would go about firing the person that I've trusted with his care since he was 8 weeks old. Now it seems like everything is going to work out just fine.

The new place certainly isn't fancy. But I know from the way that Steven talks about it, and from talking with the owner this afternoon, that the people that work there are first class, and that they really do love the kids and give them extra attention. And she gave me a great rate, since she knows that our finances aren't really in order right now. (To be read: We're fucking broke) Her normal price for infants is $125 a week. Jonas will be attending for $75 a week. That's only $10 more than I'm paying now. And on top of that, they're open later at night, so I won't have to be doing some sort of amazing race across town to pick him up in the evenings. Also, the new place is about a mile from work, which means that if I want to drop in over lunch, or whatever, I can.

Yes, everything's gonna be alright.

2 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Blogger Erin said...

YAY!!!!!

I'm so glad for you that it all worked out. We had an inhome babysitter for a while when Bren was about 18 months, before her, he loved baths, after her, he was terrified. We still don't know what she did, but I ended up quitting my job so he wouldn't have to stay with her anymore.

It fucked us up bad financially, but there was just no way I could leave him with her again! Anyway, I'm super glad you and Jonas won't have to go through any of that shit.

ML~
~E

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Thanks E. I'm really glad that everything seems to be working out, too. Believe me, I'd take the financial setback if it meant that Jonas would be safe at home. But I feel good about the place Steven goes to, and I can't wait to go meet with Liz, the owner, on Tuesday. I have a feeling everything is going to be great.

It's funny. I never understood where my 9 month old baby learned to be afraid of the dark, but at home we have to leave a light on at night or else he just sits there and screams. It's amazing that someone who professes to love children and wants to give them what's best could do something so terrible, and think that it's perfectly ok.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home