Thursday, July 21, 2005

Now and Then

In a totally selfish and needy mood today, I dropped Jonas off with his Abuela and did a little shopping. Hey! I'm justified. It's not everyday that you lose over 40 lbs now is it? I think part of the reason that I've felt so bad about myself lately is because I look totally frumpy in all of my oversized clothes. I guess it doesn't matter what your body looks like when you're hiding it underneath ancient clothes that are 4 sizes too big.

I am basically lost when it comes to clothes shopping. When you're big, there's no such thing as style, really. It's just a matter of finding enough material to cover your ass. Sure, there are some places that sell nice looking plus-sized clothes, but they charge an outrageous amount for them. So, if you're the budget shopper that I am, you usually end up in mens t-shirts, and some jeans. Yes, I buy mens jeans too. They take all the guess-work out, look right on the tag, they give you a size, in inches. No need to depress yourself in the fitting room with those mystery women's sizes that fluctuate from brand to brand. We all know it's a conspiracy anyway, right?

So I shopped for myself today, in the sections that have, until now, been off-limits to me. I felt like an invader, an outsider who had forgotten her place. But I pressed on, tried on a few things, even found a few that were ok. So, four hours later I have returned home, spending under $100 and I now have two pairs of shorts, two skirts, three shirts, and two bras that fit. Let me not forget to mention that I also picked up an organizer for the desk (which is now much more user-friendly), and a new shirt for Jonas with that money as well.

I guess years of poverty have been good for something...

So anyway, here are the pictures, then and now. Not because I want to brag about how much smaller I am, but more because I'm still so damn self conscious about my looks that doing this is somewhat therapeutic. In the interest of not taking up too much space here, I've only posted thumbnails. You can, of course, click on the pics expand them to a more life-sized version of me.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Ok, so the colors are a bit bold, but I needed a change from the drabness of my normal wardrobe. Deal with it. :)


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Excuse Mocha's head. She always has to be by my side. (To be read, she's one of those damn up-the-butt dogs.

Ok.... and now for the older stuff.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This one is from Easter. Notice the strategic placement of the baby.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

And finally, Christmas/New Year. I particularly love this one because of the look on Jonas' face. The lovely ladies with me, as if you couldn't tell, are my Mom and my Tooter.

Ok, so now that you've seen the before and afters, whaddaya think?

6 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Ang!
Ok yes I understand that there is an adjustment period while the inside assimilates to the outside... but how can you doubt anything after looking at that top picture especially!

You look amazing! You should be proud of the accomplishment - that's a lot of weight to do basically on your own, on will power alone.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

You always were beautiful. Now you've just affirmed it.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Laura said...

isn't it amazing what productive clothes shopping will do. I'm glad you've done so well and the colors are just awewsome.

I'm really with V on this one, I"m glad that you're working on convincing yourself that you're beautiful... if working on the outside makes the inside feel better then cool, plus, you get to wear rockin' clothes.

I am also way proud of you because you didn't make it your obsession, see that's a key part that's tough to master.

:)

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Laura, are you kidding? I've been totally obsessed. Maybe I haven't shown it much here, but obsession is definitely a key factor, and without it, I don't think I would have been able to do this.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Laura said...

okay, well then it can't have been unhealthy obsession if it didn't make it into the blog... or something... I don't know! when I was dieting I don't think I wrote about much else, but somehow quitting smoking didn't make it in the blog after a couple weeks.

Hrm. I wonder if that's a sign of seriousness/success.

regardless, you rock. nyah!

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking good angie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home