Friday, September 16, 2005

Baby Bootcamp

I've been having some issues with daycare lately, adn I'm not really sure how to rectify the situation.

Jonas is being transitioned into the one-year-old class. That, I have no problem with. Afterall, he's a year old, right? My problem is with the lack of communication. I have not even met his teacher yet, nor has she left me any sort of notes as to how he's doing there.

In the baby room, I'd get a report every day of how he ate, how he slept, etc. When you leave your child in someone else's care for 11 hours a day, you sort of need that information. So I go home at night unsure of the last time he's eaten, or how well he's eaten all day, and that's important to me.

This morning things came to a head when I dropped him off. He didn't sleep well last night, as in went to bed around 11 and was up and at 'em at about 3. Of course, he tuckered out around 5:30, and was still sleeping when I arrived at school. The teacher that's there in the morning curtly told me that he wasn't allowed to sleep in the one-year-old class, that they took their naps between 11 and 2, and that I needed to wake him up and put him in a high-chair so that he could eat.

I told her that he had had a bad night and really needed the rest. This didn't sit well with her, and ultimately, Jonas woke up and a spent 30 minutes tearfully trying to get him to eat something for fear that they fed him on the same rigid schedule, and if he didn't eat now, he may not eat again until lunch.

I'm not stupid enough to think that part of my problem is that I'm an incredibly over-protective mother, but I also can't help but think that a one year old child can't be expected to adhere to any sort of structured schedule.

Is there some sort of magical switch that, at 12 months, activates a child's routine? Sure, some structure in his day is good for him, but if the child is tired, he should sleep, right? And if he's hungry, he shouldn't be made to wait until some pre-set time to get food.

And like I said, maybe if I'd been given some sort of syllabus, or introduction to his new room I could make some adjustments in his home routine to help with the transition, but I really have no clue what's going on since his teacher doesn't arrive until I'm already waist-deep in dogs at work, and she's gone when I pick him up. I don't even know her name.

It's so frustrating!

So I'm going to try to get to daycare this afternoon before the owner leaves. Maybe if I have a conversation with her I can at least feel a little better about what's going on. But right now I'm so upset I'm considering pulling him and just letting him stay with his abuela. She may spoil him rotten, but at least I know his basic needs are being fulfilled with her.

All I know is this: I can't continue to leave him somewhere that makes me cry all the way to work.

3 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I'm all for a schedule, for the teacher's sanity, and for Jonas' - but nothing so rigid as having to wake him up after a sleepless night and force feed him like that! And YES you should be made aware of the schedule and what "requirements" there are so that you can help him to get onto that schedule.

But regardless of the schedule the teacher needs to make allowances for times that Jonas is off-schedule. There needs to be flexibility for christ sake, like you said, he's ONE.

Of course, there IS going to be an adjustment period as he gets used to the new class and its new rules, but kids are amazingly adaptable and he WILL adapt, it's what kids do best. He'll get used to eating at a set time, and sleeping at a set time, and those are the times when he'll feel hungry and sleepy. It works like that.

It'll be easier on him than it is on you - and you and the teacher definitely need to meet, talk, and see what's going on. Right now, you know nothing much for sureand a mother's mind always wanders to the "OMG they're torturing/starving/beating/etc my kid" side of things. Chances are, it's nowhere near as horrible as it seems right now.

If worse comes to worse, give her a call - you might just get exactly what you need to hear just over the phone, and god knows it can't hurt.

But as a final (god I sound like I think I know everything) note - don't give up on them until you know for sure that you're unhappy with the facts. We both know how complicated and ugly things can get when family does the sitting!

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

It would be futile to try to improve on what Erin said. So, what she said, double!

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Thanks E, who would know more about raising kids than you? :) I appreciate your level head and all your years of experience. I'll count on you to always keep me on track, ok?

I know that he'll adjust, and I'm not opposed to routine or structure, I just want them to accept that there WILL be an adjustment period, and to be sensitive to that. It's stressful enough that he's been taken away from him Ms. Sharon, who he loves so much. I'm sure that soon he'll love this teacher just as much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home