Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Strange Day

Working full-time again has me completely drained. It's hard, after putting in 12 hour days, to be energetic on your day off. All you really want to do is sit back and veg, maybe read a book, watch a little tv, something mind-numbing. That was my plan for today... drop Jonas off at Abuela's for a few hours, stop by the store to pick up some necessities, then come home and do absolutely nothing for a little while.

So Wil called his parents, asked if they wanted to visit with the munchkin for a while today. They enthusiastically agreed, and we arranged for me to drop him off around 11:30.

I pulled into their driveway at 11:45, Jonas sleeping soundly in his carseat. I extracted the sleeping child without waking him, trudged to the door, and knocked.

And waited...

And waited...

And knocked again...

And waited...

And waited...

And rang the doorbell...

And waited...

And waited...

And then put the sleeping child back in the carseat, and drove around the block a few times, thinking that maybe they had needed to run a quick errand or something. When they didn't return, I called Wil's cell to ask him to give them a call, but, of course, he didn't answer, so I left him a slightly angry message, and then drove around some more, waiting for him to call me back. He never did.

So, caught in the quandry of having a sleeping child with me, I knew that I couldn't go do any shopping, and if I drove all the way back home, there was no way in hell that I was going to go out again, I resigned myself to the fact that I was NOT going to get a day to myself, and called Heidi.

She met me, and the sleeping one at our favorite coffee shop. Of course, I knew that I was really playing my odds with transferring Jonas from the carseat again without waking him. He woke up the minute I laid him in his stroller. So our coffee sipping adult time turned into romper-room at the uppity coffeehouse instead.

Actually, he behaved as well as can be expected for a bored one-year-old. Since I didn't plan on having him with me, I hadn't packed any of his toys.

So we drank coffee, and kept J-man from destroying the place and finally, around 2:30, Wil finally called me back and told me that his parents had been home the whole time, and that I could drop Jonas off whenever I wanted. Ugly words ensued. If they were home, why the fuck didn't they answer the door?!

If this were the first time this had happened, maybe I wouldn't be so peeved, but this is the second time. The first time, it was on a workday, and it left me in a difficult situation. It's not easy to find backup childcare at the butt-crack of dawn! And it's not like I didn't give them ample time to answer the door. For God's sake, they don't live in a mansion or anything. And even if they didn't hear me knock, they certainly couldn't have missed the doorbell.

Ugh.

So Jonas and I came back home, and had a fairly decent afternoon together, despite the fact that I'm tired, and not a very entertaining Mommy today. We put together a new toy that Granny bought him, and he had a great time figuring out all of the things it does.

Now, finally, at almost 6:30, he's napping. Usually I wouldn't let him fall asleep this late, knowing that now he won't go to bed at a decent hour, but I NEED the break. Besides, tonight he's going to be Daddy's problem. I think I'll let him pull his share for once.

I know it's not fair of me to be angry at him because of his parents, but all the same, I can't seem to help it. Call me immature.

The sad part is, I've probably lost my Thursday workday babysitter over this, since we all know how well a Spanish grandmother can hold a grudge. Hey, I didn't mean to hurt any feelings by not bringing him over after Wil called, it was just too late in the day for me to get anything accomplished and therefore useless for me to do so.

So I guess that makes me immature, and selfish, since I'm only thinking of my own inconvenience and not their desire to spend time with their grandson.

Whatever, I'm too tired to even stew over it.

1 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way. Not your fault at all and you have every right to be pissed, or disturbed?? I mean, it's not like hiding from the rent man!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home