Monday, September 05, 2005

Falling

There's autumn in the wind today.

For the first time in more than 60 days, it's not in the 90's. The wind is blowing from the east, mottling the sky with grey. Beautiful weather, were it not threatening rain.

I'm out of place here in Florida. I'm not a summer girl. I'm not a beach girl. I crave cool winds, autumnal reds and ochres. Give me a gentle fire, a cozy sweater, and a warm cup of coffee. That's me.

Better yet, give me a crisp evening and an old wooden porch swing, creaking from it's tired chains. Yes. That is me, there, wrapped in grandma's hand-made afghan, painted toes peeking out from beneath.

I don't want to be here anymore. Not in Florida. I want to go home.

Fifteen years it's been since I've felt like I've belonged anywhere. Fifteen long years of feigning happiness in this sticky heat that so many idolize. There's no life here, just soggy acceptance of the state of things.

We're not buying a new house. We're staying put. Not because this is were we want to be, but because there's nowhere we want to be here. So why go out and spend $300,000 on somewhere else to be unhappy?

But we can't leave, either. Can't just pick up and go. Where would we go?

I wouldn't mind going back to Tennessee. Not to Memphis, but maybe up near Kingsport, Knoxville, somewhere beautiful like that. Or maybe to North Carolina, somewhere outside of Raleigh. I spent a few months there once, it was magnificent. But what I want, and the reality of things seem to clash.

I've never been one to pull the race card, but now that I have a child to think about, it's hard not to. Where else in the world is an interracial family as accepted as it is here? Sure, my son is whiter than white, but what happens the first time people lay eyes on his daddy? Let's face it, we don't live in the enlightened world that we all like to think that we do. There's still racism out there. Fierce racism, and I don't want my son ostracised for his heritage.

Wil put it to me this way: "The white people hate me because they see me as black, the black people hate me because I'm not a "brother", so where do I fit in?

He's right, unfortunately. And I'd never really thought about it like that. Sure, there are a lot of people in a lot of places that ARE accepting, and who see past color and culture to the person behind the skin. But there are so many more who don't, can't, and won't.

So I guess that we'll stay, and I'll learn to be content. But for today, just for today, with the cool breeze blowing in from the ocean, I can pretend that I'm somewhere else.

3 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Ang sweety, NC would welcome you. We've come a long way in the acceptance department, inter-racial couples and children abound. Of course there are still small minded and ignorant throw backs, there are everywhere - but you're right NC is beautiful, people hardly notice race in most places anymore, and Jonas - well, there will be times and places and people in his life that are unaccepting and uncomfortable, even painful, but I think that's true no matter where you live, or what your heritage is.

And answer me this hun, if you already feel out of place, as though you don't quite belong, don't you think Jonas will feel that too, by proxy?

Shit, move to Raleigh, no hurricanes (well, ok there WAS Hugo in 89) and we may not have much winter but by god our porches wrap around, our swings squeek, and the foliage in September and October is gorgeous enough to taste.

Do it! I'll have the hot coffee and the blanket waiting!

(of course, maybe part of my enthusiasm might be due to the grandness of the idea of having you near enough to visit sometimes?)

ML~
~E

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Laura said...

yah know Ang, a gay friend of mine was sure that because he was gay, people were constantly judging him, or that the dude tailgating him was doing so because of a rather small pride sticker on his car or any number of things -- when really, really it was the same old crap and they were oblivious. I know 'round here there's a lot of tolerance for interracial couples. Like E said -- basically the folks that have issues are the small minded throwbacks, but overall, honestly, no one really gives a shit

AND we have foliage, too. :) And snow... sometimes.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Snow is the Devil!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home