Saturday, September 03, 2005

Well, that's a new one

Today, after spending the morning with his son while I worked, Wil told me that Jonas was "like a Beef Jerky Gummy Bear."

That's definitely a new one. Perhaps accurate in some ways, but how does one come up with such a description. I've known parents to call their children strange nicknames. I'm guilty of it myself. Right now he'll answer to "Doodlebug" or "Munchkin" faster than he will his name... but Beef Jerky Gummy Bear?! My god, we're going to scar this kid for life.

It's been a pretty damn good day. While I worked this morning Wil set out to impress me. I came home to a sparkling clean kitchen (down to the crevices in the highchair and the inside of the microwave) and a clean, happy, and well-fed son. He even did the floors! God bless him!

After I got home and changed, we went and had a late lunch at Olive Garden. Gotta love that Soup, Salad and Breadsticks deal! Jonas ate an entire bowl of minestrone, and a good portion of dad's pasta.

We were planning on going up to the bike shop to look at different children's seats. We want to start using our bikes more (if we can get through the spiderwebs they're encased in) once the weather cools off a bit, and Jonas is old enough now to safely ride on the back. Wil seems to think that one of the little buggys (not sure what they're really called) is a safer option than a seat, but I don't know how I feel about dragging my son behind me where cars may not see him. If he's firmly planted just behind me, I think I'll feel more secure. Anyway, by the time we got to the shop, they were closed for the day. Oh well. Another time, maybe.

So, since we didn't go bike shopping, we stopped by Best Buy and visited with some of our old friends.

Mary's pregnant. About 15 weeks pregnant. I'm excited for her, but also scared to death. She's got serious kidney problems, and she's already showing signs of complications. I have a feeling that the next several months are going to be tough for her, involving bedrest, and lots of testing and stuff. She's already prepared for a premature birth since there's no way in hell she'll be able to carry to full-term without dying. But she's in good hands. She's got a great doctor, a loving family, and friends that'll do anything to help out. Still, it was hard being there, watching her pretend that everything is just wonderful, yet seeing the fear beneath that facade. I'm no good at helping people through tough situations. I'm just not. It's like all the words just escape me and I turn into a bumbling idiot. When you don't have any control over the situation, how do you tell someone that it's going to be ok?

Anyway, we visited with Mary and a couple of other folks, and then came home.

It's strange how you can get all nostalgic for a place and a time. I miss the days when I worked there. Not necessarily the job, but the people. We were like one big family. We worked together, ate together, drank together, partied together, and many of us took a dip in the old gene pool, if you know what I mean. Hell, I got a husband out of the deal. :)

For a moment or two, it was like old times again. Time changes people, friendships fade, but standing there in appliances, toeing the familiar scuffs in the tile and watching people come and go, it was as if we had been transported back four years.

And to be honest, if they offered me the same pay I was making now, I'd probably go back there.

Anyway, it's getting past my bedtime, and there's a little Beef Jerky Gummy Bear that's looking all snuggly and all I want to do at this moment is curl myself around his little sleeping body and call it a day.

Tomorrow we take the in-laws shopping. Dear Lord, save me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home