Thursday, September 01, 2005

Don't worry, I'll get it

I hate Thursdays. I don't know what causes it, but every Thursday my co-workers turn into turnips incapable of lifting a finger. If this were just an occasional thing, I think I could deal with it. We all have lazy days where we don't feel like doing anything, right? But why every Thursday?

Maybe it's just my own perception and bad attitude. Thursdays are supposed to be my day off, but now that I'm working full-time again, they're now my long days. I'm there at 7, I leave after 7. Ugh. Maybe I'm just grumpy because I don't want to be there, but come on...

Pop Quiz:

1. A client walks in the door. You:
a. Stand there and drink your coffee and pretend you don't see them.
b. Pretend to be busy doing something else.
c. Greet them with a smile and help them.

2. The phone is ringing. You:
a. Stand there and drink your coffee and pretend you don't hear it.
b. Pretend to be busy with something else and let it ring.
c. Pick the damn thing up and help the client.

3. There's a two foot stack of files to be pulled. You:
a. Stand there drinking your coffee, in my way, and pretend you don't see them.
b. Pretend to be busy doing something else more pressing, like checking your e-mail.
c. Grab a few and head for the shelves.

Apparently the answer is a.

Sometimes I wonder why I continue to care so much about my job when it seems like no one else gives a shit.

4 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger Erin said...

lol Ang, I too am an on-the-job-overacheiver. I teach people to stand there and drink coffee, I mean why not, Erin will take care of it. I will not deny for one second that I have enjoyed not working. Unfortunately, guess what I've managed to teach hubby and the kids...

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Oh E, I think I had the hubby trained long before I took on this job. He's the greatest coffee drinker of them all. :)

Ugh. Bad day, but it's over. Two more and I'll have a day off to regain my sanity.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger me said...

BINGO! Angie! I don't see anyone with whom I work saying to me, "Let's make this fair. ~I'll~ do some of these for a while and you stand here." But who goes, "What do you need? What do you got? What can I help with?" I know precisely what I can help with, don'tt I? One would think showing service brings the same reaction. Not true! Bitter pill to swallow, hon. Admire ya anways and your honesty rings true with other type A over-achievers out here in the ether. To these people I say, "Want to be served? Show ~YOU~ can serve as well!" Ugh!

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... Yeah but then when circumstances made me a bit more like those coffee drinkers... then I get a lot of flack. So busting my hump as fast as I can (which is sometimes pretty slow when you have a busted hump) I see people totally goofing off and giving me crap for not busting harder, and they don't have to deal with the residual pain for a day to a week later. What makes the people allowed to goof off, not do their work and make someone else to it different?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home