Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Calm

It's incredibly serene this afternoon. I guess it's the proverbial calm before the storm.

We're not projected to get the brunt of the storm, but we are expecting winds over 75 mph, and considering half of my neighbors still have blue tarps for roofs, that's capable of doing some damage.

Incredibly, no one seems to be doing anything in the way of preparations. I haven't even stored my trash cans away or brought in my plants. I think it's just that we're all on hurricane overload. We've become immune. If this were two years ago half the town would have evacuated by now. Funny how tragedy makes us stronger, or dumber.

I went to the store yesterday, not because I wanted to go overboard on hurricane supplies, but simply because I had to. Baby's gotta have his milk, etc. That's the only place where I ran into any sort of hurricane frenzy. Oddly, my biggest scuffle was over a can of vienna sausages. Apparently those are considered the prime rib of hurricane fare. Me, I just wanted them because they're the only meat product, vile as they are, that will pass Jonas's lips. The bitch in front of me took the last five cans, knowing damn well that I was waiting to grab them. Honestly, couldn't she have given me just one for my son? People suck.

I thanked her very sarcastically for her goodwill, and she had the balls to smirk at me in a finder's keepers sort of way before meandering her way down the canned goods aisle, big ass jiggling in her wake.

Other than that, the grocery store was still well-stocked on everything. Of course, water was hard to come by, but I got three gallons of the high-priced "nursery" water, which is just distilled water with added flouride.

I fail to understand people's logic sometimes. I mean, this IS a fast moving storm. It'll be in and out of here in a matter of hours, so why are they buying out the stores as if it's their last chance?

And if they're that damned concerned, why aren't they preparing their houses?

Wil's been activated, which means J and I will be riding this one out alone. I find that, more than anything, to be the hardest part. Being here, all alone while he's up at the hospital.

If we somehow manage to keep power and cable throughout the storm, I'll do my best to update as often as possible. I've got the camera ready, and in a way, I'm almost looking forward to mother nature's show of force. Yep, I'm sick like that. :)

Later y'all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home