Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Total Indulgence

I spent almost $200 yesterday at Victoria's Secret. What a lush I am! I don't think I've collectedly spent that much money on under-things in my entire life, but it was pure self-indulgence and I loved every minute of it. Well, every minute except the ones where Jonas was emptying entire drawers of silky, well folded little panties onto the floor.

Cute kid. He's got good taste.

But seriously, there's something so marvelous about expensive, sexy underwear. Makes you feel like a whole new person, and it's something I haven't really experienced before. We've always been the broke-ass, buy your shit at Wal-Mart type of folks. But Wil took Christmas as his opportunity to spoil me a little and bought me a gift certificate to VS so that I HAD to do this.

I loved every minute.

In other news of self-indulgence, my craft store gift certificate arrived in the mail yesterday. I'm already lining up my knitting projects for the year. Mainly, two baby blankets (ok, so both of those baby's momma's read here, so I guess that's no longer a secret)a felted bag, and a couple of little busy-work things. I've got a ton of ideas and patterns that I'd like to try, but I have very limited time to knit, and I don't want to line up so many projects that I start feeling pressured. The blankets will have to be first if I want to give them away sometime before the babies are adults. So I'm going to go today and blow that certificate on yarns and needles and other such things that very few of my readers, if any, will understand.

I read on a website somewhere that the average knitter will spend some ridiculous figure each year on yarns. Something like $3000. I thought that was totally ridiculous at the time, but the more I knit, and the more I love knitting, the more I see that as a reality. Ugh! I'm going to have to get a second job just to finance my hobby!

Jonas had a recheck at the doctor's office yesterday morning. His ear infection has nearly cleared up, but he's still incredibly stuffy and coughing and just miserable in general. They now suspect that he has allergies, (No shit, really?) and sent nasal cultures out to a lab. They also suggested I try giving him Claritin daily, or some sort of equivalent. I wish that stuff was still a prescription drug. It would probably be much more affordable as a co-pay drug. But you gotta do what you gotta do, right? And I almost feel guilty that my son has suffered nearly 17 months of sinus/allergy problems and the cure could be as simple as a dose of medicine daily. Heck, the kid even LIKES taking medicine. I guess it's just a routine he's used to. Poor little guy.

So I'm off to the craft store, and the pharmacy, and wherever else the wind blows me today. It's my last day off before returning to work tomorrow. Ugh. I don't think there's a person in the world that WANTS to go back to work, but I can't help but feel like I'm the only person in the world that LOATHES the idea.

3 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Laura said...

very cool on the Victoria's Secret stuff-- nice underthings do make a world of difference!

I understand the knitting expense thing -- it's like gardeners who insist they are saving money. Sometimes, sure, but on the other hand if you look at all the tools and labor and expense of doing it yourself, well, it takes a while to recoup your loss.

you have to love it first. btw, what are your thoughts on alpaca yarn?

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Hey L,

Thanks for understanding my indulgences. Funny you should mention gardening. I was just telling Wil the other day that I'm hell-bent to get the garden in this year. We'll see. I've said that for probably the last three years. :)

As far as alpaca yarn goes, I've never personally knit with it, but I'm an absolute novice. My sister in law knits with it all the time, and apparently loves it. If you're interested, I can send you a link to her blog, or some others that focus on knitting. That's how I got started, just reading other people's blogs and reading patterns online, etc. It's a lot of fun, and a very calming sort of hobby. It's like therapy, only cheaper. :)

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger Spider Girl said...

I have Victoria Secret pajamas, but sadly the underwear drawer is looking a little ragged. Note to self: go underwear shopping.

Thanks for the inspiration. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home