Sunday, December 18, 2005

Final Days

We're down to those last frenzied days of christmas/holiday shopping, and it just dawned on me this morning that I had completely forgotten one of the most important people in my life. Heidi. Jesus, how do you forget your best friend? The person who's been there for you in every way since you were 14?! Ugh! So I did some last minute shopping this morning.

I hate the pressure of buying things last minute. Especially when you're not really sure what it is you're looking for. Eith all of my other gifts I had a plan. I knew what I wanted, I could compare prices, make good decisions. But those last minute gifts kill you. You're in such a panic to get something... anything... that you end up blowing your budget.

And what did I end up with? Nothing special. I got her an organizer for her scrapbooking stuff, some supplies to go with it. I know, not the kind of heartfelt thoughtful gift that I best friend usually gives, but it's all I could come up with. Besides, she's the one that got me turned on to scrapbooking, so there's at least some sort of connection there.

And she's always so good at picking out the perfect stuff for me. Last year she did this really neat collage of Jonas pictures in a shadow-box sort of frame. It was so special! And I feel so cheesy not doing something more... warm, I guess. But I just don't have the time for lots of homemade gifts, nor the creativity.

I was working on a knitted wine bottle cover that was going to be for my mom, but if I finish it before christmas, maybe I'll personalize it for Heidi and give it to her instead. I could maybe embroider her initials on it or something. She'd appreciate that, with a nice bottle of wine and a some wine glass charms. Not expensive, but thoughtful. We'll see. That thing isn't going to knit itself, and lord knows if I'll have the time to finish it off.

I got my uncle taken care of today, too. Just a tshirt and a fleece jacket. But that's enough. He's one of those easy to shop for people that's truly appreciative of anything you give him. It's nice to have one or two of those on your list.

And I wish there was something more I could do for my brother and his wife, but we've sort of come to an agreement that we aren't really buying anything this year. Just the kids.

So, unless someone else pops up that I totally flaked on, I shouldn't have to go back out into the madness at the stores. Now I've just got to wrap, and start thinking about suitcases to pack.

The tree is up, and lit, and decorated. It's starting to look like christmas here... at least a half-assed version of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home