Sunday, March 05, 2006

Miserable

Jonas is absolutely miserable. He just lies around all day, head in my lap, whimpering and moaning and tossing, trying to find a comfortable position. And there's really not a whole lot I can do for him, other than love him. Is this really going to last 7 days!?

He's dehydrating. No a drop of urine since about 6pm yesterday- more than 10 hours. Hasn't eaten anything at all since Wednesday afternoon/evening. How long can a baby go with no food? He still drinks a little, but not nearly enough. We've tried, milk, milkshakes, chocolate milk, juice, kool-aid, water, pedialyte, smoothies, just about anything liquid, and it all gets rejected. And I can understand why. If I had blisters all in my mouth and throat I wouldn't want to swallow anything, either. But I know he's starving and thirsty. You can sit and listen to his tummy rumble, and he tosses all night with a belly-ache.

At 2-something he woke up with a pretty high fever again. We've had very little success in the fever-control department. Even after giving motrin, he tends to run at about 100 degrees. You have to understand that my kid's on the big size for his age. Thursday when I stopped into my normal pharmacy (which I can't stand, but it's the only 24 hour place that accepts our insurance) I actually asked the pharmacy staff whether I should be giving him the Infant's Motrin, or the Childrens. The infants is for "children 6-23 months and weighing up to 23 lbs, the Children's if for children 2 and over, and weighing 24 lbs or more. My gut told me to go by weight, not age, but I didn't want to go over-dosing him on stuff without someone else telling me it was ok. So I asked the pharmacy guy, and he totally blew me off, sort of rolling his eyes and acting like I was a moron.
"You say he's how old?"
"Almost 19 months."
"Well, it says clearly that this goes up to 23 months."
"Yes, but he's a big boy, are you sure I shouldn't be going by weight instead."
*loud huff*
"This says up to 23 months. Go by the age."
*turns and walks away*

Not once did Joe Clerk ask the pharmacist. That would have required a long six foot trek to the other end of the counter.

So Jonas has had a fever since Thursday, sometimes high, sometimes low. The motrin brings it down, but not all the way.

Tonight, realizing I'd left his bottle at Grannys, I made a 3 am run to the pharmacy, and for some reason, although my regular pharmacy is closer, something made me drive to Walgreens. Yes, I know their prices are expensive, etc. But let me tell you this. Not once, ever, have I been treated as kindly as I was tonight/this morning.

I decided to ask someone else's opinion on which one was the right choice. The pharmacist not only took the time to ask questions about Jonas, age, height and weight, and based on that, made the suggestion that the children's was the better option (score one for mommy instinct) but also took the time to ask about his hydration, suggested I try pedialyte popsicles, recommended that if this didn't keep his fever at bay, to try alternating it with tylenol every couple of hours, and just overall gave a shit. Imagine that! She took the time to actually come out from behind the pharmacy counter and chat with me as I walked down the aisle.

And then I got to the register, and the sweet girl working there also made the suggestion that, if this was something I was buying a lot of, I check BJ's or Sams because they sell a package of three bottles for the same price that one costs there. Now, while this may not be good corporate practice, to send business elsewhere, I really appreciated the fact that she would make such a suggestion. Heh, either I looked totally broke, or she just really felt like she could do me a favor. And honestly, who doesn't appreciate being told about a significant savings?

So, I think that in the morning, when I have a less cloudy head, I'm going to write a letter to the store manager, or corporate, or both, just thanking them for their wonderful and helpful staff, and maybe even drop the suggestion that that start accepting my insurance so that I can fill my prescriptions there, too. It's not like I have some obscure insurance, or anything. We're through one of the top three providers in this area. I guess it's probably got more to do with corporate BS and insurance contracts, etc. But it would really be nice to have a staff I feel confident in taking care of our medical needs, ya know?

So anyway, that's my long-winded three in the morning ramble. Back to bed to see if I can get another hour or two in.

And if you haven't already gone and offered up your spare change to Erin, what are you waiting for? Get your buns over there and send that girl some gas money! I'd like to think someone would do the same for me/you if our children were fighting for their lives. And if someone did, I guarantee you the first one to do it would be Erin. Donate Here

3 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Ang, lol, my personal cheerleader, thank you so much.

I had never heard of this hand/foot/mouth disease thing until I went to the hospital for Nova's surgery. One of the 'patient representatives' (secretary that shows you where to go) had a granddaughter that had it, and would tell us how she was doing every day - it was rough, including a day in the hospital - and her granddaughter was 14, so I can't imagine how bad J feels. Poor little guy. I'm going to ask her exactly what they did for her, maybe she'll have some good suggestion I can pass along.

*hug*

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, poor Jonas. I hope the popsicles do the trick. And how nice to find someone who actually likes their job and gives a damn! :) I hope the little guy is feeling better soon.

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dang, the kid always seems to be sick lately :( I hope all this is going to toughen his immune system - maybe once he gets through all these crappy days and nights he'll be much stronger, you think? Hope he gets better soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home