Monday, June 05, 2006

Daddy Dean would be proud

Yesterday we had a pretty incredible storm and the poor squash plants were swimming! They're in an area that collects the water that runs from the roof. I didn't even think about that when we planted them there. They survived, it seems, but the rain washed away most of the soil, leaving behing just some pine needles and sand. I'm now working on constructing some sort of makeshift gutter system to whisk the excess water away.

I'm rather proud of these plants. They're the only ones I've kept alive for more than a week and that seem fairly healthy. The biggest tomato plant is now bigger than Jonas, and the others, while smaller, are already bearing edible fruit. Yum! We also have tiny peppers on our pepper plant. Yippie!

We're thinking about adding a row of beans against the shed wall if I can come up with some sort of trellis for them to climb. We'll see. We may have our hands full enough. And it's pretty late in the season to be starting seeds, isn't it? But that's one advantage of Florida living, if you can stand the heat you've got a really long growing season.






3 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Very nice! I think that Hawaii's "no digging" law is good for me. It saves me from wasting money on plants that would only suffer from neglect and die. ;-)

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool. i never even thought of growing peppers. in fact, i've never even considered where they come from lol

is pepper considered a fruit or a vegetable? and is there really any difference besides color to green, red, yellow, green peppers? these are the things that keep me awake at night dangit!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Eve, Hawaii seems to have a lot of weird laws. What's this about no digging? That seems odd to me. Of course, I'd just have to go and make raised beds and spend even more money that way.

Jim, I think peppers are like tomatoes- technically a fruit- but I'm not sure. The different colors are simply different stages of ripeness. Green will turn yellow and red the longer they sit. But I'm no expert, for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home