Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Sock update

As a child I remember reading a story about a native american girl. Every day she would watch her grandmother weave blankets. One day she asked her grandmother how long she would live. The grandmother replied that she was old and that this would be her final blanket. So every night, after grandmother went to sleep, the child would go and unravel the day's work, assuming that if the blanket were never finished her grandmother would never die.

Of course, in the end she had to accept that change was inevitable, and regardless of whether the blanket was finished or not, grandmother would soon be gone.

Now, my poor little sock project certainly does not hold the weight of life in it's threads, but as I move along through the familiarity of the pattern I realize that sooner or later, I'm going to have to give in and journey into unfamiliar territory. I'm on my tenth repeat of the pattern, meaning that here very shortly it will be time to begin the heel.

I've never done this before. And so far the sock is so beautiful that I can't even begin to imagine how hard it's going to be for me to admit defeat if I totally screw it up.

I guess, eventually, we all have to cross over into to unknown and take our chances, don't we? So, wish me luck on this and let's all hope that I don't go ruining a perfectly good thing with my novice skills.

5 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

I have much confidence in you. You will master the heal with no problem. I want pictures when you're done!

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, and if it doesn't work...well, you can call the sock modern art or something

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Hooray! First of all, let me just say--follow the directions and don't think too hard about it. Just let the pattern work its magic. Good advice for any first sock heel. *grin*
Secondly, if you're really worried, you can always run a "lifeline" by taking a spare piece of yarn and running it through all the loops in your last row of the leg. That way if anything "happens" (eek!), you'll be able to rip out to where you started and all your stitches will be waiting for you instead of having run for the hills. :)

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Mother Raven said...

Wow that is really beautiful. Good luck with the heel. I have been using Knifty Knitter looms mostly for hats. I would really like to learn how to knit for real and then I could even do more things with the looms but I cannot make much sence of the "Learn how to Knit" instructions. I feel so dence and I wish I had someone to show me how. I still might not "get" it.
You have my admiration.

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Hi Raven!

A lot of those instructions suck! I taught myself how to knit about six months ago- fortunately I have a sister in law who's excellent at it and I can go to her with any questions/problems. The downside is that she's 3000 miles away. :(
Try www.knittinghelp.com to learn the basic stitches, there are videos of everything, and that makes it much easier to follow than just reading from a page. You can actually watch the way the needles move, etc. And don't be afraid of screwing up a million or so times before you get it. Hats are incredibly simple to make, once you get the hang of the two most basic stitches. I wish I could be there to show you. Knitting is like an addiction once you get started. I'm certainly no expert, but I'm learning and having fun, and keeping my hands busy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home