Saturday, June 03, 2006

One Lonely Crocodile

I finished my first sock this evening while Jonas and Dada were over visiting with Abuela.



Not bad for a first-timer. I now know that I need to practice grafting! Luckily it was a very small piece of the work, but were this more than just a tiny sock toe I think I would have burst into tears!

There are a few places in this sock where I can see a mistake I've made, but none of them are so glaringly obvious that I'm upset about them. A twisted stitch here or there. But overall I'm proud of myself.

For the past several weeks while I've worked on this everyone, meaning hubby and other various family members, have teased me a little bit by asking "So, when's it going to look like a sock?"

Yesterday Jonas woke up from his nap, stared intently at it for a few seconds then smiled and said "shoe!". Close enough, baby!

So, in order to stave off onesockitis I've already cast on for it's mate. Just as soon as I have feeling back in my fingers I'll get to work on it. I think the second one will go much faster since I already have some familiarity with the pattern. At least, I hope so.

9 Comments:

At 5:14 AM, Blogger Eve said...

WOW! That sock looks great! I don't think I have enough patience to learn to knit. I would get frustrated and rip out all of my progress... I am guessing. I learned to crochet once... (is it similar?) though I wouldn't know what to do with it nowdays.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

I don't know much about crochet Eve, but I think that they do have some similarities, but they are two separate animals because if you handed me a crochet hook I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. Some would argue that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing with knitting needles, either. :)

Thanks for the compliment on the sock. Now hurry up and post some sewing progress!

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Hooray, hooray, hooray! It is awesome! :)

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, you will now be ready for winter! It looks very good.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Laura said...

hee hee

you are a "sock"star!

*hugs*

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

I always knew you could do it. I know how to do both, knit and crochet. I much prefer crochet because I believe you can see progress much faster than with knitting. I have, however, neglected both crafts for quite a while. I applaud your efforts and your results. BTW, you're the only one who knows where the mistakes are. If you don't point them out, no one else will know. I almost call it a signature to have one goof in a project.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

L, you crack me up! Sock star, eh? Why does that conjure up images of 80's glamband rocker chicks for me?

I love you! *smooch*

Vickie, thanks for your compliments, too, and your never-wavering doubt in my abilities.

And before this starts to sound like an award ceremony speech, I'll shut the hell up. :)

 
At 1:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sock looks great!!! I hope mine will look half as good when I get there. My progress has been slowed by end of the school year craziness. I should be able to return to the crocs in earnest in a day or two.

Well done!!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Laura said...

what vickie said makes sense ang, my mom's friend judy used to crochet an error into all of her doilies and stuff because when she visited the US (from Germany) they would try to tax her for the purchased textiles -- by putting an error in them she proved that they were handmade by her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home