Sunday, June 11, 2006

Oh little grasshopper!

Does anyone remember that old parable about the grasshopper and the ant? Yeah, the one where the diligent little ant spent the fair weather days storing food for the winter while the grasshopper whiled away his days enjoying himself and having fun. When winter set in the ant was nice and cozy while the poor grasshopper starved.

Today I am a grasshopper.

We've been in an incredible drought for the last six months or so. Hardly any rain at all. As I mentioned in a previous post, I planted my squash plants in an area that gets a lot of runoff from the roof during rain storms, and with the one and only real rain we've had since their planting they nearly drowned. Well, at that moment I realized that I needed to devise some sort of gutter system to make the water flow away from them, but being my typical self, I've procrastinated and ignored it, not really concerned about any impending storms.

So what do I see on the weather channel last night? The first tropical depression of the season, and it'll be making it's appearance here this afternoon/tomorrow. They're projecting anywhere from 2 to 8 inches, and while I'm not turning my nose up at some much-needed rain, I'm certainly kicking myself for procrastinating.

And as a complete oxy-moron to the above situation- I've been working on my MT stuff the past several days. I haven't officially recieved my package from them which includes the texts and the footpedal software, etc. but I have access to the online stuff, and so I've been working my way through all of the medical prefixes, suffixes, and root words. Man are there a lot of them, and they all sound damn near the same. I mean, some are obvious enough, but others I'm struggling with.

Since Jonas doesn't really allow me to spend hours glued to the computer, I've been taking all of the different words and creating study sheets in Word, and then printing them to read over while we play. Well, after typing up 18 pages of root words yesterday, my little sister tells me "there are flash-cards that come with it." ARRGG!! You mean all that work for nothing? Well, maybe not for nothing. I mean, just the physical typing of all of them and their meanings had to do something for my retention, right? But it was funny that twice in one day she wsa the one to point out my impatient streak. :) Thanks Jessica!

In other important news, my grandmother made it through surgery yesterday. She did "surprisingly well" to quote my Mom. She's still got a few weeks of recovery time in the hospital, of course, but I'm glad to know that the surgery is over and that it was successful.

And with that, I'm going to go convince Jonas that breakfast is a good idea and maybe check the shed for something I can use as a make-shift rain gutter.

Hope y'all are having a good weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home