Friday, June 09, 2006

If I had $13

I'd buy one of this guy's CD's. This is exactly what I love in music, and this kid is incredible! Ok, so I say kid, but he graduated the same year that I did, and from a school just south of me. Amazing that such talent can reside close to home and it takes this long to discover it.

I get my final paycheck today from the clinic. I'm hopefully optimistic that it'll be decent. I had a bunch of sick time and vacation time to cash out, along with the Memorial Day holiday pay, and the handful of hours that I actually worked. As long as it's about the same as my average paycheck we'll be good, and maybe I can afford the CD.

Of course, it'll have to come after groceries and a few other necessities, and some hubby convincing. :) And of course, Father's Day is just around the corner... and I've got friends and sisters with babies due very soon, and my nephew's birthday. Ok, so the cd can wait. But it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine to quote a really stupid movie.

Anyway, I got started on my medical transcription course last night. The entire first module is nothing but typing and exercises to help increase your speed. I'm finding it incredibly boring and I'm itching to skip to the next section and just say that I finished this one. But I suppose even the best typist could always use a little refresher, right? And, well, maybe this is just a lesson in dropping the cocky "I already know this stuff" mentality. Gotta start with the basics, right. But it seems so stupid to spend hours typing "asdfjkl;" over and over again when I already type 85 wpm.

Jonas is going to go visit Abuela today so I can try and muscle my way through all of it in one sitting, and then maybe by tonight I can actually get into the medical part of the course.

And I've already learned the that hardest part of doing anything from home is the procrastination factor. Sure, you know you need to do this particular thing, but before you can sit down and do it, there are a million and one other things that you thing need to be done first. So I've already done the dishes, cleaned the kitchen, swept the floors, emptied the litter box, started the laundry, and I'll hit the grocery store on the way home from dropping J off. Then, as long as I can hide my knitting from myself for a little while, I shouldn't have any other excuses to NOT focus on old "asdf".

4 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't have to do that entire unit all at once! The syllabus actually recommends working on typing for just an hour before you start working on the rest so you can see if you improve day by day. And to be honest with you, I only worked on that typing section once - I type pretty quickly with 4 fingers. :) If you type 85 WPM, it shouldn't be a problem skipping it for a while.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

You couldn't have posted this at a better time, sister. Jeez, can they find something a little more archaic to use for their speed practice? Talk about a whole bunch of unused words and LOTS of commas, etc. Ugh!

I've now worked my way through the entire prefix thing and I'm up to the test part. Think I'll go make a few cheat sheets to study from and get my numb butt away from the computer for a while!

Thanks for letting me know that it's ok to skip ahead. :)I guess I didn't read the syllabus all the way through.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Eve said...

So you SKIPPED the syllabus and went straight to practicing, but if you had READ the syllabus would've found that you could've SKIPPED the practicing? hm.

;-)


That's very funny. I had a literature teacher once that wrote like a page of instructions, the first line read: "Read all of the instructions before starting any work".

Of course, the instructions were very long, and most people tried to get a head start on the project by doing it as they read. Only to find at the end of the instructions, it says that NONE of the work was to be done.

At least half of the class was overworked and pissed.

(whereas I was lazy that day, didn't feel like working, and actually read through the entire instructions and did no work. HA!)

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

I suppose I'm very man-ish when it comes to the whole directions thing. I use them as sort of a reference guide should I get hung up or lost. If I'm assembling something, I often glance at the instructions, and then just dive in, only skipping back to see which screw you're supposed to use where, etc. Blame it on my stubborn independence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home