Monday, May 22, 2006

I've got the bug

I guess maybe it's just a spring phenomenon that everyone goes through, but I've got the gardening bug in a really bad way.

This may be a dangerous thing, simply because of my past experiences with all things green, but so far I seem to be having much more success. A few weeks ago Jonas and I planted a few tomato plants, some basil and a pepper plant. They're all doing amazingly well. We even have 9 decent sized tomatoes hanging from them and many little buds eager to form fruits.

It's actually been fun having our little evening ritual of going out and tending to them, pulling weeds, watering, checking their progress and talking about how much they've grown. And the smell! It's so fantastic!

So today, being sick of work, I left early and ran to the garden center for a few more things. I picked up some little pickett fence sections and some more potting soil and a couple more pots, and a couple of hand tools and, of course, seeds.

Now, this may be the demise of my garden- seeds. I've never really had any success with starting things from seed, but it's so much more cost effective when compared to purchasing actual plants. And you can't pass up that lesson for the kid about how things grow, now can you? Heh, not that I actually expect him, at the tender age of 21 months, to totally understand. I'm not that whacked out, yet.

So anyway, we got a couple of different flower seeds to go around the mailbox, and some herbs for our new pots, and some zucchini and summer squash to go in the freshly dug plot on the north side of the house.

And since I still had a few hours before Abuela was expecting me to pick Jonas up, I took advantage of the time and came home and started clearing some over-growth from the north side of the house. I also cleared the spot around the mailbox and installed the pickett fence border and prepared the soil there. I raked and I hoed and I hauled and now I'm exhausted, but in that good "I accomplished something" way.

Tomorrow, as long as it's not raining- which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing- I think I'll take J out with me and we'll get our hands dirty planting the seeds. Then it'll just be a matter of crossing our fingers and hoping we continue to have the same luck we've enjoyed thus far.

Mucho pictures to come- once it's daylight again and I can take some.

Oh yeah, and I guess we'll have to take our dirty laundry across town and wash them at Granny and Daddy Dave's. Until we can organize our schedules we're washer-less. Ugh. For a house that does laundry on a daily basis, this is difficult!

On the sock front- I'm 7 repeats in and they're looking great! Yes, I really am that slow at knitting! But I enjoy the process, so it's all good.

And that, my friends, is enough rambling for one day.

3 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

The garden center can be a dangerous place...espcially on the budget! Can't wait to see some pictures.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

We planted a garden this weekend, too! Three tomatoes for Daddy Dean, some onions, a canteloupe for Aaron, and some carrots. Not much, but it's the first garden we've had since moving to this house, so Yippee! Oh, and Brian bought a lemon tree. :)

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

I know what you mean by "Yippie!" This is the first time I've been able to play in the yard since Jonas was born. We don't exactly have a garden, more like various plants tucked into various flowerbeds and pots, but it works, and it saved me from having to hand-till a plot, which I did one year, only to give up on the whole project. *ugh*
Your garden looks so cute, and I know that Aaron is going to have a lot of fun with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home