Monday, July 03, 2006

Blah

Letely I've had this overwhelming case of the blahs. When that happens there's nothing to do except get yourself embroiled in enough stuff to make your head spin. So that's exactly what I've done.

I've got huge ambitions for re-doing our bedroom. You see, we've got this massive and ugly bedroom furniture that was graciously given to us several years ago by a friend. When Wil and I first started dating we had between us a tv a full size mattress and a screw-together end table. It's amazing all the stuff you can collect in seven years, isn't it?
So this massive furniture, in our not so massive bedroom, leads to a very cluttered and hard to navigate bedroom. Let me give you an idea of just what I'm talking about- the headboard to our bed is 9 feet long! It's one of those shiny mirrored things with a four-drawer dresser attached to either side. Then there's the vanity- roughly six feet long consisting of a sitting area with mirror and three drawers below, and a tall cabinet on the other side. And along with that is a armoir that's not quite as huge and obnoxious. All that in a bedroom that's about 12 X 13!

So, my idea is to trash the headboard completely. Because we need the drawer space, I'm going to try and detach the dresser sections without totally ruining them , and then screw them together to form one (much smaller) surface.

The vanity, which can't even be used anyway, because there's no room to pull out the stool and sit, is going as well. If possible I'm going to salvage the tall and slender cabinet from it as well, since Wil uses it for all of his colognes and manly stuff. And the smaller armoir is staying simply because it's the only functional piece that we have. It holds all of our shorts, t-shirts, and also makes a great place for the tv to sit.

I think that simply by getting rid of the obnoxious headboard and the even more obnoxious and unusable vanity I'll create quite a bit of extra space in the room.

Ok, so enough of the bedroom. On to other bigger and better things.

Today my painter man came and pressure washed the house and will return this afternoon to apply a conditioner. Tomorrow we'll have fresh paint- providing the weather cooperates.

Here's the before picture...


The stucco at the top there that is cracked and buckled will be replaced as well. Yay! After three or more years of it driving me nuts, I'm finally going to have that fixed.

And you see that tiny little screened porch over there? That's getting expanded as well. (Once we figure out the finances for it) We'll also be adding extra electrical outlets both in J's room and onto the porch. I've got great plans for it, considering the fact that our house is so small, it'll be nice to have the extra space that the new porch will allow. And the cats will enjoy the sunbathing space. :)

Ok, so there are a million and one other projects that I'd like to be doing, as well, but these things come first, and then we'll see where we stand. I'd like to give the whole interior a face-lift via fresh paint, and I'd love a new and much smaller computer desk to free up more space here in the livingroom.

By the end of the year it'll almost be like a new home. Almost...

And so, with all that said, it's now time for me to get out of here, and get my butt into gear on some school work.

Have a happy 4th, y'all.

Oh yeah, and I haven't officially heard any news, but considering Jim and Laura haven't been prowling the net the last few days and there are no updates to her blog, I am assuming that little Dylan has finally made his appearance into the world. So congratulations to you three, and know that you're being thought of from afar!

2 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger Eve said...

You know, it's about time you added something new to the blog. All I do while Anthony is napping is clean, surf the net, and make diapers. (Oh, and I am SO excited about this new fabric that I got...maybe I should start now, eh?)

So, from now on you have to update at least once a day, k?

Or not. Oh well.

Oh, and we've got TONS of furniture now too. EXCEPT for in the bedroom. We have a cal-king, a $10 table with my 27" tv on it. And that's it. We use those little rolly-plastic 3 drawer things for our clothes... until we actually agree on a bedroom set anyway.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Eve, just wait until Anthony isn't taking so many naps!

Can't wait to see the new diapers with the new fabric. I'm telling you, you should mass produce them and sell them.

And if I had something worth talking about every day I'd certainly share it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home