Monday, June 26, 2006

When life gives you 'maters...



make tomato soup!

When you think comfort food on a rainy day, what is it your mind conjures up?

For me it's grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.

Sure, you can go to the grocery and pick up one of those red adn white cans and pop it in the microwave, but why be so boring? Besides, I've got an abundance of tomatoes and basil in my garden right now, and I NEED to use them.

So, I'm no good at sharing recipes because I don't follow any, but here's my best attempt:

Sautee an finely chopped onion in a little olive oil until transparent, adding salt and pepper to taste. Add to the pot roughly 2-3 lbs of roughly chopped (I just cut them into about four sections) tomatoes and some chopped garlic. Cook until the tomatoes have boiled down and are mosty liquid. At this point I threw in a half of a jalapeno and a spoonful of sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Zip in the blender until smooth, strain to remove larger pieces of skin and seed, return to the stove, add heavy cream until desired consistency and color and bring back up to temperature. Toss in some basil for flavor.

That's it! Easy enough, right?

6 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, that looks yummy :)

Jim still doesn't get why Americans like grilled cheese and tomato soup.

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And a second thought...

Did you know that you're really really good at taking pictures of food? You should be a food photographer for some food magazine or something. You always make everything look so yummy!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Eve said...

I was thinking the same things Laura! I got Roy to try the grilled cheese and tomato soup about a year ago. He gave me a disgusting look and asked: "You seriously think this tastes good?"

He thinks it's like mixing ice cream and pizza.

Whatever, I still think it's yummy.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

I can make a lot of things but I have never in my entire life considered (realized?) that you could actually make tomato soup from fresh tomatoes. Weird, I know. :)

 
At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That soup looks delicious. I'm going to have to try your non-recipe when my garden is overrun by tomatoes...

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Laura, thanks for the compliment! I think you're just pregnant and any picture of food looks good to you, though. I have the hardest time taking pictures of food. They always turn out too dark, too washed out, etc.

Yvonne, I guess it's just one of those things that's ingrained in us from childhood. Every culture has their thing, ya know. For Wil it's Malta. I can't stand the stuff, but he could drink it by the gallon.

Amanda, it didn't really cross my mind, either, until I had a craving and realized that there wasn't a can of Campbells in the cabinet. :)

Katrina, thanks for stopping by. It was pretty darn good. The jalapeno gave it a great little kick. I suppose if you like your tomato soup a little more on the sweet side you could grate some orange zest into it instead. Mmmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home